Two Satellite Plus Pro Fixtures?

Acton

Nov 28, 2017
New Paltz New York
Hey guys, new member here. I'm setting up a high tech tank for the first time and have some questions regarding my lighting fixtures.

I've seen a few topics here regarding the Satellite Plus Pro and PAR data, and it seems that this fixture might not provide enough PAR for carpeting plants like Eleocharis Acicularis and Hemianthus Callitrichoides.

I've done my research on what I'll need in a high tech setup for demanding carpeting plants, I'll be injecting co2 through an inline co2 atomizer, and I'll be dosing liquid fertilizer following the EI method, doing 50% water changes weekly. If anyone is curious as to what liquid fertilizer I'll be using, I'll be using thrive + as recommended in ADU Aquascaping's video "Understanding Fertilizers Dosing Methods & NilocG Thrive Plant Fertilizer!" I considered going with dry fertilizers, but measuring out macro and micro nutrients seems like a pretty intimidating process to someone line me whose just starting out with a high tech setup.

My question is will two Satellite Plus Pro Fixtures provide more PAR then one fixture by itself, and does anyone have any experience growing the two previously mentioned carpeting plants with this fixture? I currently own two fixtures at this point. I'll be using ADA Aquasoil Amazonia as my substrate, with the standard 3 inches of substrate. I own a 30gal deep tank, the dimensions are 30x12x18. So my carpet will be 15" from the light fixtures.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Kyalgae

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2016
Canada

Good video on that specific plant, he describes what hemianthus will look like when certain things are going wrong.

I run a +pro dimmed to 30%, and a regular LED+ dimmed to roughly 50%.The substrate is 11 inches away. My little patch hemianthus is beginning to carpet with short internode distance. Hairgrass was the very first plant I grew, it will carpet no problem, and I only had an LED+ at that time, with just excel. With two +pros running full bore I would bet you are going to grow algae, take it easy on yourself and dim both fixtures white channels to 30% starting out, you can use the time to get your co2 dialed in. Tom always talks about light as the gas pedal, and starting out you don’t want things to accelerate away from you. Two fixtures will give you more par than just one. Or you could try both running full, then if problems start, dim the lights.

Acton

Nov 28, 2017
New Paltz New York

Good video on that specific plant, he describes what hemianthus will look like when certain things are going wrong.

I run a +pro dimmed to 30%, and a regular LED+ dimmed to roughly 50%.The substrate is 11 inches away. My little patch hemianthus is beginning to carpet with short internode distance. Hairgrass was the very first plant I grew, it will carpet no problem, and I only had an LED+ at that time, with just excel. With two +pros running full bore I would bet you are going to grow algae, take it easy on yourself and dim both fixtures white channels to 30% starting out, you can use the time to get your co2 dialed in. Tom always talks about light as the gas pedal, and starting out you don’t want things to accelerate away from you. Two fixtures will give you more par than just one. Or you could try both running full, then if problems start, dim the lights.

Thanks for replying! Do you think substrate depth of 15" will be an issue? I know in your tank you mentioned that your substrate was 11" away. I might pile more substrate in the front where I'm planting the carpeting plants, and use less in the back where I plan to plant the stem plants.

Also how long do you leave the lights on? I plan to leave them on for 8 hours. From 12pm-8pm since I'm usually around in the evening and would like to see the plants them.

hn5624

Aug 4, 2017
North carolina, USA
Tom Barr has always said that plant light requirements are lessened the more co2 you have. Obviously there reaches a minimum threshold, but you can probably just run a higher co2 count to compensate for it.