This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Turning off the RUGF

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Detritus Mulm, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Detritus Mulm

Detritus Mulm Guru Class Expert

My Plant tank was originally a GF (Gold fish) tank; they moved on to a bigger tank. Unfortunately I didn't rip out the RUGF when I moved them, as I was only growing floating plants at the time. I've been growing my rooted plants in bowls/pots as a temporary solution. This has worked out OK, as it let me use aquatic soil for some plants (Cabomba) without making too big a mess. But I'd like to add some ground cover and get back some of the room lost to the pots.

So is RUGF really as bad for the plants as I've read (nutients and current) or can I mitigate the problem with reduced flow and deeper gravel. I've also read that I just can't turn off the RUGF as the mulm trapped under the plates will go anerobic.

Info:

55 gallon
    Pressurized CO2 injected into the RUGF powerheads
    Ludwigia, Cabomba, Swords, Anubias
    Using PMDD w/o N03

2. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Re: Turning off the RUGF

I've read (from M. Barr) that rooted plants grow just fine with RUGFs. They seem to provide good circulation to the roots and the mulm doesn't build up beneath them, since the direction of the flow is up and away.

UGF's are a different story.

Bill

3. Detritus Mulm

Detritus Mulm Guru Class Expert

Re: Turning off the RUGF

Thanks. that's good to know.

I did a search but didn't turn this up.