Turning off the RUGF

Detritus Mulm

Guru Class Expert
Jun 12, 2005
My Plant tank was originally a GF (Gold fish) tank; they moved on to a bigger tank. Unfortunately I didn't rip out the RUGF when I moved them, as I was only growing floating plants at the time. I've been growing my rooted plants in bowls/pots as a temporary solution. This has worked out OK, as it let me use aquatic soil for some plants (Cabomba) without making too big a mess. But I'd like to add some ground cover and get back some of the room lost to the pots.

So is RUGF really as bad for the plants as I've read (nutients and current) or can I mitigate the problem with reduced flow and deeper gravel. I've also read that I just can't turn off the RUGF as the mulm trapped under the plates will go anerobic.

Info:

55 gallon
Pressurized CO2 injected into the RUGF powerheads
Ludwigia, Cabomba, Swords, Anubias
Using PMDD w/o N03

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Re: Turning off the RUGF

I've read (from M. Barr) that rooted plants grow just fine with RUGFs. They seem to provide good circulation to the roots and the mulm doesn't build up beneath them, since the direction of the flow is up and away.

UGF's are a different story.

Bill

Detritus Mulm

Guru Class Expert
Jun 12, 2005
Re: Turning off the RUGF

aquabillpers said:
I've read (from M. Barr) that rooted plants grow just fine with RUGFs. They seem to provide good circulation to the roots and the mulm doesn't build up beneath them, since the direction of the flow is up and away.

UGF's are a different story.

Bill

Thanks. that's good to know.

I did a search but didn't turn this up.