This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Turn OFF CO2 at night or not?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by omartinez, Apr 20, 2015.

1. omartinez

omartinez Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    3:43 AM
    Hi,

I will be keeping discus fish in my planted tank and i was wondering what is better

turn off the CO2 at night, as usual?

or leave it on to maintain an stable PH?

I DO have a PH controller build into my custom build controller so i can turn on/off CO2 when needed.

2. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Yes, turn off. Stable pH does not matter as much as stable hardness in both carbonates and general hardness.

3. chris.rivera3

chris.rivera3 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I concur...turn off the CO2

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Most people turn theirs off at night, the plants will not use co2 during your night cycle so it will just build up in the water and can stress your fish.

5. Aquaticz

Aquaticz New Member

Local Time:
    7:43 PM
    I turn off at night but also turn on an air stone which runs when the CO2 does not. I have a bunch of clown loaches and panda corys that I am told appreciate the extra oxygenation.

6. omartinez

omartinez Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    then I want to ask for some suggestions.

I'm not home most of the day, I'm home by 7pm most days. The tank is in a place where no direct sunlight but in an open place. I've the light cycle of the tank so that when I get home I can see the tank with lights. In total 5 hours of lights, starting at 3pm.

so do i turn the CO2 at 3pm or just before?

its my light hours good if i want to able to see the tank illuminated when i get home?

7. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Have the Co2 come on at 2pm, and turn off at 7pm.

5 hours is a short photoperiod though, can you do 8 hours say from 2pm to 10pm ?

8. Aquaticz

Aquaticz New Member

Local Time:
    7:43 PM
    @ omartinez - I turn on CO2 1.5 hours before lights come on & turn off C02 when lights go out. I could probably turn it off about an hour earlier but I figure the C02 is cheap.

Not very scientific but seems to work for me.

9. krissy

krissy Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    You should turn off at night since there's no photosynthesis.

10. emartny

emartny Guest

Local Time:
    9:43 PM
    I have mine on a PH meter as well. It shouldn't hurt anything if you let the PH controller keep the PH stable. It doesn't come on much for me if at all during the night hours, so I figure yours would act similarly. Just leave it as is, and have it keep the PH stable. If the fish aren't gasping, or you never see them gasp, then the C02 isn't an issue.

11. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Respiration is both CO2 and O2, aeration in and on itself will not really add O2. More current and turbulence is generally better for this purpose. This is independent of CO2, so there's no need to add aeration at night.

If you have poor CO2 during the day and then switch to 24/7 CO2 and things get better, it highlights the fact that you had poor cO2 to begin with.

If you have larger or active fish, then do not add CO2 at night, it serves NO REASONABLE GOOD PURPOSE FOR THE FISH. Since respiration is both CO2 and O2, having stable high O2 is good no matter what time of day. No one can argue that. Now if you do not have any need for CO2 at night, we are adding it only to fertilize the plants and they only use it when the light is on..........adding CO2 at night is going to make respiration more difficult for the fish. You are also going to waste 2/3rds of the CO2 tank since most add CO2 8 hours out of 24 hour day.

Just remember CO2 and O2 are independent. You can add so much turbulence that it's hard to add enough CO2, but a nice ripple is good but not quite enough to break the surface tension.