Trying to grasp EI

rbass

Junior Poster
Oct 24, 2005
Pinole,Ca.
Hello,
Just joined and I`m trying to come up with a dosage routine.I`ve read the
article on EI and the concept seems easy but I need measurements.I downloaded the calculator but after entering tank size and nutrient nothing
happens at measurement section.I`m apparently missing something...Tank
is 80g with 260w and CO2.Just got KH2PO4 and KNO3 from Greg Watson,just
made first planting and ready to fert.
Thanks for any help,
RBass

Spar

Guru Class Expert
Jun 5, 2005
Dallas, TX
Re: Trying to grasp EI

Unless you want to know what the ppm's are &/or plan on switching your dosing regimes around to fit your tank spec's better, you really don't need a dosing calculator. Just go with the following dosing regime, and make sure your co2 is above 30ppm.

Sunday 50%+ water change
Su, Tu, Th = 1t KNO3, 1/4t KH2PO4
M,W,F = 1/4t CSM+B (Plantex)
Saturdays - nothing.

What is your GH?

edit>> make sure you re-look above... I had to edit a couple #'s.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Spar, I'd hack that back a tad, 3/4 th on the KNO3, 1/8th on the KH2PO4, that is enough for that lighting value/type.

More is just waste in this case.

But you are correct about the need for ppm, even with a good test kit, you will not get closer than 5ppm with the range you need(20-30ppm), even at low levels with NO3ppm, the best is still about 4 ppm since the increments tend to be based on N-NO3, so you need to factor in the O3 part and multiply by 4.4 to get NO3 ppm.

Given that error range, it makes since to just dose and do water changes rather than test.

You can still test, but I have grave reservations about changes toa dosing routine based on a test kit unless the test is calibrated against know standard solutions within the range. Not someone esle doing the claibrations with the same brand , but you doing them.
Test kits vary. So does the user.

EI is extremely easy after you begin to do it. Besides non CO2 methods, there is no easier, nor cheaper way to fertilize a CO2 enriched planted tank.

Easy, plus flexible and cheap and less user error.

Regards,
Tom Barr

rbass

Junior Poster
Oct 24, 2005
Pinole,Ca.

Thanks for the replies.My GH is 3 and KH is 6 which seems odd since I`ve
always heard EBMUD had virtually no KH.Given the inaccuracies of these tests
this is what I came up with.I have an almost full bottle of Flourish I thought I
would use for micros.Running PH at 6.9 to get 28ppm for CO2(I hope).Oto`s
tomorrow.
Thanks,
Rich B

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Ah, you are in the east bay, your KH/Gh are different because they use a different source for the delta towns, like Pinole/Hercules etc, I think that might be San Pablo Reservior water.

I'd add some GH, Greg sells some, also, the only thing you might need to add(complete GH is optional), is a little MgSO4 once a week after a water change.

Are you in the SFBAAPS group? If not, please come to Alan's open house in Napa, it's not far from you, maybe 20-30 minutes.

Go to the SFBAAPS site and view announcements etc.
The site has recently been redone.

Note: I'll be there around 12-1pm and have all sort of testing equipment etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

PK1

Guru Class Expert
Oct 7, 2005
Pennsylvania

rbass,

Is 80 gallon the tank size or the water amount in it (water column)? I have a 90 gal. with ~75 gal. water column so the same dosing regimen would apply to me.

I put the test kits aside about 2 weeks ago and I am going with the dosing/water change only. Something very interesting I found out yesterday was that the measuring spoons I was using were oversized by up to 75%!! The spoon that said 1/4 teaspoon was actually much closer to 1/2 etc. I don't think this is a very common problem but if you bought your spoons form the Dollar Store... check them out against a more expensive set!

For the more experienced out there: I have been having problems with with fuzz algae, could overdosing by 50%-75% be the culprit? I think I know the answer but gotta ask...

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

CO2, you knew that already though right? hehe

EI is very easy to explore what an excess level or a low level of nutrients will do to plants and algae.

CO2 and light are the other variables(other than routine maintenance, water changes, cleaning, filter cleaning, preening, pruning etc).

So generally the CO2 is 9/10th of most folk's issues.

Regards,
Tom Barr

rbass

Junior Poster
Oct 24, 2005
Pinole,Ca.

Tank size is 80g with 200lbs. of eco complete so water column is around 65
or so.
I`m going to try to make the open house,should be a real learning experience.
Thanks,
Rich Bass

PK1

Guru Class Expert
Oct 7, 2005
Pennsylvania

Ummmm...

Did I say fuzz algae??? I meant to say green dust algae on the glass and leaves.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Some folks have done the CO2 mist thing and killed it off that way, there are a few ways to get rid and harass green dust.

Rich , do come, you'll be glad you did later. Lots of free plants, shrimp trades etc going on.

Regards,
Tom Barr