This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to get the CO2 level stable throughout the entire tank

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by GillesF, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Hallen

Hallen Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    4:32 AM

Not that complicated, I can describe it in text I hope since it's hooked up and running atm. On both sides you have a tule, which is more narrow at the end than near the reactor. (as in smaller inner diameter at the end). This is done so it can run both 12/16 and 16/22 tubing. If you saw off the first narrow part you'll be left with a wider tule.

Basically the bottleneck is the smaller inner diameter of the tule, you saw that off and you're left with a wider tule before the reactor which is less of a bottleneck since more water can pass through.

2. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Well i searched a bit on these atomizers and also saw a comparison on ukaps (UK aquatic plant society) between the Boyu and the one in use here. I decided to buy 4 of them and use them instead of the reactor i now have.

3. GillesF

GillesF Member

Local Time:
    Do you have a direct link to the topic/article? Looks like an interesting community!

4. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I used to use inline PVC Reactors, Ista inline Reactors with the impeller inside, Inline diffusers and powerheads with split and bent impeller fins. In my experimentation so far, they've all used about the same amount of CO2 (within a dollar more or less, per month) to achieve a yellow green drop checker. The options typically used work well but the trade off is between noise, size and ugly

The powerhead with split finned impeller is the most versatile as far as placement to achieve ideal water flow. The disadvantage is, it's another piece of equipment in the aquarium and it tends to be noisey. You hear a tick, tick, tick everytime the bubble hits the impeller. Right now, I'm using the powerhead with an inline diffuser attached, just because I had one in my junk bucket. There is no more tick, tick tick but, it's really ugly. I have on order some standard glass diffusers to use under the powerhead since it will be smaller and easier to hide, I hope. I guess I will have to put up with the swarm of bubbles everywhere as well. Ugly but effective.

Inline PVC reactors work well but always sound like you have a water leak even, if you don't have one (trickle, trickle). Also, once a year I have to reprime my canister filter after cleaning the hoses and the Reactor makes priming a bit more difficult. Also as mentioned, additional plumbing connections have the possibility of leaking. It's never happened to me but, I'm paronoid about water leaks.

So for now, I will be back to bleaching diffusers and trying to hide powerheads.

5. hbosman

Local Time:
    Gilles,

Let us know how your inline diffuser works. They are supposed to create a much finer mist than the Boyu but, people have had issues with the hose caps breaking.

6. GillesF

GillesF Member

Local Time:
    Which Gilles? :D

I don't know if I'll buy one, I'm paranoid about leaks too (had a small one a month ago)

7. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    (Funny that this guy is on 2 forums i am also on... really hate that :p)

@hbosman: If you mean by hosecaps the "screw on will secure your tubing" thingy? That won't be used! I am going to use standard metal hose clamps to tighten the stuff together, like seen in the below mentioned link
    @gilles: here is the link: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8959

[​IMG]

8. GillesF

GillesF Member

Local Time:
    Gilles :)D),

I tried the water current setup you proposed but that doesn't work in my tank, the CO2 stays too much in the back instead of going forward due to the extra current the powerhead provides. Will try to displace the powerhead.

I'm hesitating between the atomizer above or the one hbosman has. Hbosman's seems less likely to break due to it's "simpler" construction.

9. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Did i propose a water current setup?

10. GillesF

GillesF Member

Local Time:
    Oops, I meant Dutchy :)

11. hbosman

Local Time:
    Ok, I guess I have to try another toy, the Up Aqua CO2 Atomizer. That mist is finer than running the boyu thru a split finned impeller.

12. GillesF

GillesF Member

Local Time:
    I've read some good things about those but what about the overall build quality? Are they prone to cracking/leaking?

13. hbosman

Local Time:
    Your namesake (Gilles) has a link to a UK website that has a review of the Boyu and UP Aqua. You might find the answer to your question there. I just reconnected the Boyu back inline to my canister filter last night. I removed it from the powerhead. I have to say, it does work well but, I will order the UP Aqua just to compare the appearance of the mist. The Up Aqua's mist is described as being much finer so, I have to see. I saw a video clip somewhere showing it's output and it did look nicer.

#33 hbosman, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2010
  14. hbosman

Local Time:
  15. GillesF

GillesF Member

Local Time:
    That looks indeed like a very fine mist! I do wonder if the atomizer makes noise when there's no CO2. My aquarium is not that far from my bed and I don't want to hear the water passing through all night long. Will look that up in that thread.

16. Hallen

Hallen Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I can't imagine it making much noise if any at all, it'll just fill up with water. The video looks promising if you leave out the blue Co2 checker detail haha.

17. hbosman

Local Time:
    Yeah it must have taken him an awful long time to get the CO2 running again. :)

18. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    If you read the post on ukaps, they specifically 'hate' the boyu version since it has to much noise.

The UP aqua instead made no noise at all. The UP aqua version also does not fill with water.
    The inner tube is where the water flows, the outer 'housing' is where the co2 is and it penetrates through the ceramic tube in the center.
    That is why you see drops of moist in the picture above.

Here 2 other vids:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFBg_AXp8-o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IxD2Ob3e4g

19. hbosman

Local Time:
    Ahh good point, the Boyu does fill with water when the co2 is left off for awhile, when the CO2 is shut off for the night for instance. But when the CO2 is turned back on the following day, the water is forced out of the outer housing along with the CO2. You can hear the Boyu, but It's not as annoying as a PVC Reactor or a powerhead impeller hitting CO2 bubbles. All the same I will be ordering one from UP Aqua after the holidays.

In the videos, it looks more like fog or smoke than CO2.

#39 hbosman, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2010
  20. GillesF

GillesF Member

Local Time:
    I bought one on Ebay. I'll receive it next week or the week after.
    Should I buy a Koralia 900L/H too or will that be too much current?