This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to FIX my Lightning

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Lightt, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:44 PM
    Hello,

I am trying to fix my lightning to get rid of some problems i am facing such as melosira algae.

I think that i am on a very high lightning build and this is why i am facing issues.

My specs are:

21 gallon aquarium with about 80 liters free water.

Dimensions on centimeters 80 x 30 x 40

My height is 40

Bulbs distance from surface 10 centimeters

Substrate thickness 7-8 centimeters in general with some slopes being more.

My lightning setup is 24w x 3 , 6500-4000-6500k from front to back with 2 t5 HO daylight and 1 pink bulb freshpower plants

My plants are:

Hemianthus cuba, pogostemon helferi, cabomba furcata, alternanthera red ruby, ranunculus inundatus, fissidens fontanus, alternanthera reinecki mini,ludwigia perennis , Rotala Wallichi

So what do you think; Is it extreme lightning for this setup; Should i close the 1 t5 ho bulb and run with a 2x24;

Thank you very much

2. 1077

1077 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I think yes,it is quite a bit of light.

Would try just two bulbs for a couple week's or forever if the algae subsides.

Especially if lighting period is longer than eight to ten hours CO2 enhanced or not.

My two cent's.

Other option might be to raise the light higher if you are able and again,give it a couple week's.

Keep filter cleaned regularly (monthly).

Good fertilizer routine if fish waste is only method currently in play, fish waste alone might not be all that plant's are wanting.

3. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thank you for your answer.

My light period is now 7 hours...

This algae (melosira) goes better after cleaning my filter and increase a lot my co2...Lets see...