Trying to find a thread on Low-tech, Non CO2 discus tank. Please Help!

orion2001

Guru Class Expert
Mar 27, 2008
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this topic seems a little silly. I came across a thread a few weeks back (I don't know on which forum, either APC, PT or Aquaria central) where the thread starter had posted lovely pics of his low-light, low-tech, Non CO2 discus tank. The plants were really thriving and he had some great reds in the tank too. Best of all his Discus were perfectly healthy and he hadn't done a water change in months!

I know for a fact that Tom (as plantbrain) had quite a few posts in the thread talking about the benefits of Non CO2/low light and how the tank was proof that you didn't need high light for getting Reds. It was a great thread but unfortunately I never bookmarked it.

Now, I can't find it for the life of me! I've been scouring through 80 pages of Tom's posts on APC, 20 pages on PT and a similar number on Aquaria Central and I still can't find it!! I know I sound a little crazy :D, but I really want to find that thread. If anyone here, including Tom knows which thread I am talking about and has a link to it, or knows on which forum it might be, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!!

orion2001

Guru Class Expert
Mar 27, 2008
Hi Gerry,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do the search. Actually, I was hoping to find the exact same thread, more because of all the useful info and discussion that was posted in the thread. While I don't plan on keeping discus anytime soon (though I'd love to), there was a lot of useful discussion in that thread and I was hoping to re-read it so it could percolate into my brain, and also bookmark it for reference :)

Thanks again.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
FYI, I no longer post on APC, so you will not find that much from me there.
In general, a non CO2 approach and discus are counterproductive.
the reason is due to most folks wanting to add too many fish in the tank or feeding too much relative to the tank size.

If you plan on 5 fish for a 120 Gallon tank, that's fine, but not 12 full sized fish like many add. Also, feeding routines vary, some feed once a day, some feed the fish more than they can eat 5x a day.

Non CO2 approaches and no water changes rely on the biological processes and slower rates of fish loading and slower rates of plant growth. If you want to amplify things, then you need to go to CO2 enriched methods or add an automated daily water changer etc.

You have a trade off there and most mess it up[ pretty good and then complain.........and fail........then blame the method.........

Regards,
Tom Barr

orion2001

Guru Class Expert
Mar 27, 2008
Thanks Tom. You do raise a good point. I guess if I ever venture into the world of keeping discus, I will stick to the tried and tested pattern of regular water changes. I was actually more interested in that particular thread since you had some good posts in it regarding bringing out reds in plants, and some other aspects of medium intensity light/ low-tech tanks. Anyways, it isn't a big deal. I'll just pick your brains if I can't find the info when I do try to grow reds in my tank =).