This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Trying emersed

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by JJ..Bequiet, Jun 6, 2011.

1. JJ..Bequiet

JJ..Bequiet Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    7:21 AM
    While waiting to piece together my 180 I decided to do an experiment.
    [​IMG]
    eleocharis sp. belem from Matt F. (thanks again!)

[​IMG]
    vase came from marshalls for 4.00 holds 2 gallons of water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    covered with cling wrap and have a 13watt cfl 6500k bulb..
    hope it works out..starting to think I dont have enough soil in it.
    I used organic potting soil from the flower bed out front.

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    a quick creative solution for the wait.

I purchased a small seedling greenhouse from Lowes and filled the tray with some aquasoil. I put it in the window. It is heated from the bottom. It stays moist and I've placed a small bit of most plants I have in there to see which I can get to grow that way. The belem is starting to throw out runners, C. parva does well, its not ideal for stems, but it has only been a few weeks. All of them seem to be growing.

3. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I've been considering one those myself. Not ideal for stems I'm guessing because of the height? I'm wondering how that would work out with staurogyne.

4. chopsticks

chopsticks Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Some stems change form when growing, I have a bunch of Limnophilia sp. growing emersed, they grow a lot more compact and branches a lot more and than in the immersed form.

Also you don't want them to grow too tall emersed, I think it is better to be constantly trimming and replant the tops so you end with many more plants. Short stem plants are IMO better for planting in the tank later, they have few leafs with in the emersed form.

I think a container with a height of 10cm to 20cm will give you plenty of room.

Regards,

Juan

5. ShadowMac

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    my staurogyne is doing the best i think. the downoi, which i received in rough shape seems to be recovering well, E. belem and E. parvula have sent runners, limnophilia hippuroides is branching with new stems, most look good.

6. JJ..Bequiet

JJ..Bequiet Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Well I have new growths from the e.belem but at the same time it appears to have some die off as some of the older grass has browning at the tips..would this be die off from transformation to emersed? or a deficiency?
    also some new leaves on a crypt of some sort I placed in with belem.

7. ShadowMac

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    a lot of my belem died off and browned as well. It has new shoots coming up now, however. It may be adjusting. If you see new growth and that looks healthy I wouldn't get concerned.

8. chopsticks

chopsticks Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Same happened with some E. parvula that I planted on a DSM tank, it was in submersed in a tank before I planted it in my DSM tank.
    I think all of the old leaves browned out and died, but new leaves come out.