Trouble turning plants red...

Ryan3

Junior Poster
Jun 25, 2012
I've had red ludwigia repens in the past with a previous setup, but my current setup is not producing any red coloring from my L. Repens, A. Graccilis, R.Vietnam, R.Rotundifolia....

I have 3x t5HO catalina lighthouse over my 18" 20 gallon show. I'm thinking I don't have enough light, but I've seen other threads sometimes discounting that thought. I know that hoppy's chart shows I have more than enough light for 18" above substrate. I run my 3 bulbs about 5.5 hours and 2 or 1 bulb the rest 4.5 hours.

I have been trying to boost my co2 because over the past few weeks my HM, Lobelia, and P. Erectus have showed melting, but I've started to pump my co2 too much that my fish are gassed by the morning because I dont have solenoid. I'm trying to get a solenoid so I can pump my co2 harder for the day time.

I dose NPK, CSM+B, Iron. I've tried boosting phosphate with limited help in making red plants.

Any advice? I know it's possible to turn them red, and I've had red plants before with a simpler setup with 2 - 4x ODNO t8's before.

Thanks,
Ryan

I'm thinking light issues for making my plants red and/or co2 to help with my melting issue (pump it higher when i get my solenoid in?), but I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Htomassini

I think you have way too much light. 3 hot5 on a 20gal is overkill. Could explain plant melt. Go to 2 lights. Make sure you don't get any melt. Your co2 requirements will be down to non fish gasping. After 2 weeks start to experiment with your NPR ratios.

Henry tomassini
www.theplantedaquariumstore.com
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ryan3

Junior Poster
Jun 25, 2012
I can try lowering lighting to help with melting...the only reason I upped my usage to 3 bulbs more is to try to get more red coloration. So light intensity has no affect on red color? What is NPR? Did you mean NPK? What can I do to induce intense red coloration if I lower my lighting?

Thanks for replying and your help!

Ryan

pleco4me

Junior Poster
Nov 7, 2010
First step would be to sort out the plant melt scenario as mentioned above. This is most probably CO2 related.

Plant healthy is the primary factor here. Once you are getting good overall growth and relatively free of algae, you can start looking into bringing out those reds.

Craig

Ryan3

Junior Poster
Jun 25, 2012
Okay. I had healthy growth algae free a the past few months...only recently having issues. I will bring it back to good growth again and try what you guys suggest for bringing reds out...I think my issues came up when I was trying to increase ferts, lighting, and co2 to bring out the reds.