Tropica prices just jumped by 40% for trace elements

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
From 69.99$ for 5 liters to 109.99$ from Big Al's.

I should have the trace mix out sometime soon now.
So it might stop some of the bleeding folks are having.

Regards,
Tom Barr

cousinkenni

Prolific Poster
May 18, 2005
Great!

I as well as many others have been anxiously awaiting its realease. Do you know where you will be selling it (ie aquariumfertilizer.com)?

Thanks,

Ken T.

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
Ordered a winter supply a month ago because if I wait too late it freezes during shipment. That is a hefty increase :mad:

Thanks Tom for your time in developing your trace and anxiously await the unveiling.

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
I saw that the other day. I was just about to order some to do a trial run to see if there was any monumental difference in plant quality over CSM+B. Saw the price, and figured unless it grew gold plated leaves I'd just stick with my dry mix since it seems to be performing just fine.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'll hopefully have a ETA on the traces this week.
Then I'll need to go get them, then ship to buyers, who will sell them to hobbyist.
I've been using samples of the mix for almost a year now.

Regards,
Tom Barr

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Tom Barr;30707 said:
I'll hopefully have a ETA on the traces this week.
Then I'll need to go get them, then ship to buyers, who will sell them to hobbyist.
I've been using samples of the mix for almost a year now.

Regards,
Tom Barr

I assume you wouldn't be going ahead with this if you got anything but good results with the samples you tested. Do you want to estimate how much better this is than CSM+B? CSM+B, because it is the dry trace mix in wide use that is used because it isn't expensive.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I really do not think it's something I can quantify Vaughn.

I can compare it to SeaChem and Tropica, it's a little better than either.
It has less copper than TMG, so shrimp folks will be good.
I've gone nuts and dosed 3-4x the normal amounts without any issues.
So 300-400% past max demand at high light.

That was with CRS's and Cardinals, both fairly sensitive to metals, both grew well over time and the CRS's bred.

It's nice to have a dry formulation, less storage and shipping issues.
It's far cheaper 1-15X cheaper than SeaChem, about 15X less than TMG.

Imagine getting 5 liters of TMG for 7$ a jug and paying 4$ to have it shipped?

Not bad............

Regards,
Tom Barr

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
rich815;30730 said:
So Tom you will not selling it directly yourself? Even perhaps at Sacramento or SFBAAPS meetings to us "locals"? :)

I'll bet if you bring a pick-up truck and a front loader he will gladly sell you a half ton for your personal use. I'm not going to try that since I don't use quite that much.:rolleyes:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
No, I sell only to wholesale folks.

I do not sell retail, unless you want a 120 Gal rimless starfire glass aquarium:p
Or plants etc in small amounts. Otherwise, I do not bother. I do not like selling and sending things directly. The cost is about what you will pay above..... not my cost.

Most of the on line vendors selling bulk ferts will carry it along with Fe specific mix(3 different formulations with just Fe).

Regards,
Tom Barr

Soggy

Junior Poster
Jun 27, 2007
Wow. ill wait for an announcement where this can be ordered. I hope it comes out before christmas!:D

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Tom,

Any update on your trace mix availability?

I have several weeks left before I have to get some more TPN, and at 100 per, I would rather have more $ for fish or other stuff:)

Thanks,

rich815

Guru Class Expert
Jun 26, 2008
Albany, California
Gerryd;31568 said:
Tom,

Any update on your trace mix availability?

I have several weeks left before I have to get some more TPN, and at 100 per, I would rather have more $ for fish or other stuff:)

Thanks,

Me too! My CSM+B will run out in a few weeks and am looking to move over to your stuff. Keep us posted please!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
It will be after Tax time, 4/15/2009.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Darkstar

Junior Poster
Mar 7, 2009
Are the chelators EDTA or HEEDTA? curious b/c i need a good mix for hard water.. Im currently using CSM+B but adding some seachem Fe with it wich is gluconate. It seems to be working well enough.. Tropica is just to damn expensive to buy and ship for me to justify using it.

Soggy

Junior Poster
Jun 27, 2007
Its already way past 4/15... the suspense is killing me... :)

I hope there's enough of this stuff for everyone.

jazzlvr123

Guru Class Expert
Jul 3, 2007
until toms stuff comes out its CSM+B and flourish Iron for me i can never justify paying 110.00 for a tub of traces