Trimming plants

Giseppi

Junior Poster
Oct 5, 2015
Houston
Does anyone know a good guide for how and when to trim different species? Both in terms of maintenance and when a leaf needs to be removed for health reasons.

PhilipS

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 10, 2014
GMT -700
This is a beginner question. Whenever the leaves look sick beyond help, snip it off to save the plant. When the plant is too tall for your aquascape, trim it leaving at least 2 top leaves to capture light and feed the plant below. Some plants like Vals look great reaching across the tank. Most stems don't. Aquascape beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Mar 20, 2013
US
1) know how plants grow when trimmed

2) trim according to how plants grow

Health issues are a difficult thing to address because of the many variables. E.g. potassium deficient leaves should not be removed because it's transporting the K to the new growth. By removing the old leaves, you remove a source of K.

Giseppi

Junior Poster
Oct 5, 2015
Houston
Health issues are my main concern right now. As webskipper noted, I'm a beginner. Aesthetics will come later, I need to learn to get the plants healthy first.

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr-report/general-plant-topics/229256-hair-like-particles

I'm struggling with lots of issues, I was just looking for a resource to guide me on what actions to take to give the plants a fighting chance until I get a handle on the light/co2/ferts balance.

I don't want dieing leaves increasing stress on the plants. But if I hack off every leaf with an issue there may be nothing left but hardscape