This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Trimming plants

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Giseppi, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Giseppi

Giseppi Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:32 AM
    Does anyone know a good guide for how and when to trim different species? Both in terms of maintenance and when a leaf needs to be removed for health reasons.

2. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:32 PM
    This is a beginner question. Whenever the leaves look sick beyond help, snip it off to save the plant. When the plant is too tall for your aquascape, trim it leaving at least 2 top leaves to capture light and feed the plant below. Some plants like Vals look great reaching across the tank. Most stems don't. Aquascape beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

3. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    1) know how plants grow when trimmed

2) trim according to how plants grow

Health issues are a difficult thing to address because of the many variables. E.g. potassium deficient leaves should not be removed because it's transporting the K to the new growth. By removing the old leaves, you remove a source of K.

4. Giseppi

Giseppi Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Health issues are my main concern right now. As webskipper noted, I'm a beginner. Aesthetics will come later, I need to learn to get the plants healthy first.

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr-report/general-plant-topics/229256-hair-like-particles

I'm struggling with lots of issues, I was just looking for a resource to guide me on what actions to take to give the plants a fighting chance until I get a handle on the light/co2/ferts balance.

I don't want dieing leaves increasing stress on the plants. But if I hack off every leaf with an issue there may be nothing left but hardscape

5. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:32 PM
    Try deficiencyfinder.com its a new site and off to the right start.

6. Giseppi

Giseppi Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Just what I was looking for. Thanks!