This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Transferring growing plants to much larger aquarium. Need ideas!

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Noledoc, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    7:13 PM
    I have 7 rubbermaid 20 gal containers planted with emersed aquatic plants. One is HC, another Glosso, as well as bacopa, etc. 3 tanks with submersed plants as well. In several months I'll have two very big aquariums ready to go. I am planning to transfer most of the plants to the big tanks.
    Here is where I need creative help. I want to transfer strips or sections of plants including their substrate to the large tank and lay the strips down into the big tank intact. I plan to have an inch or so of fertilized substrate already in the tanks. What I've thought of so far is to remove the planted strips and transfer them using a thin, flat piece of metal and then lower the planted strips gently down and into place. Then I'll slid the metal spatula out and use it to transfer another strip.
    Does anyone have ideas about this? Refinements, suggestions?
    So far one thing seems evident, I'll need side strips, vertical pieces as deep as the substrate being transferred to prevent the substrate from falling off the sides of the metal transfer piece.
    Thanks!
    Paul

2. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I guess I should try another site. Thanks

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'm guessing most didn't respond because they didn't have anything to add, myself included. I'm not sure why you don't just replant....seems like a lot of trouble to go through.

4. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I didn't see this post. I would use a razor knife and cut the lawn per sey. Pull it up and replant. Not sure how you will be able to keep the substrate intact on it. Hope that helps.

5. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks guys, my big tank will have just under 36 square feet of bottom to plant. That is a lot of bending over and I was looking for efficiency ideas. I'm thinking about planting each of the 12" x 12" sections in a similar sized container that I suspend over the tank. The container would have 3 sides. The 4th end could be easily taken off. I could lower the plants-with-substrate down to the tank bottom, tilt it toward the open end and nudge it out of the container and into place.
    I know there will be spillage around the sides but hopefully the plants toward the middle of each 12" square will remain more or less in place.
    Thanks for responding.

6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I can relate to the aching back issue, I haven't had to plant something that big and have had my back hurt for a couple days after bending over a tank for a long period of time.

7. ghostsword

ghostsword Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Why not use a cake spatula to move the plants and substrate? If the plants are in a carpet they will hold the substrate allowing you to transplant.

Just ensure that there is no water on both tanks and you'll be fine.

8. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    This is why I did not respond....I have always replanted as it also gives me a chance to trim/observe root growth...

Yes, it is a pain but I only have a 180 so not too bad.

I had no idea you had an actual 'lawn' sized area :)

9. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I like this idea a lot... really depends on how well rooted the substrate is and how compactly the substrate holds together. The smaller the size, I think the better...

There are other utensils/objects that are wide and flat and may also serve the same purpose. I have used a dustpan to remove gravel. They have a handle, are plastic and have a rubber lip to protect the tank bottom (the better ones), and they will also hold a bit of water and not spill over...

Come in many sizes too and can go back to being paired with the broom when done :)

10. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time: