trace dosing

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005
tom, after water change you say to add traces next day. do trace elements get neutralized when dosed at time of nitrate and phospates? i've read this before about the NEXT DAY. thank you , cornhusker :confused:

Laith

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Geneva, Switzerland
Re: trace dosing

Mixing Fe and Phosphates together can lead to the Fe precipitating out into Iron phophate. This, as I understand it, is not usable by plants...

Laith

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Geneva, Switzerland

Ah, but the original PMDD "formula" had no phosphates! ;)

The concept was to limit phosphates as it was thought at the time that phosphates caused algae....

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Shipley, West Yorkshire, UK

Laith said:
Mixing Fe and Phosphates together can lead to the Fe precipitating out into Iron phophate. This, as I understand it, is not usable by plants...

I'm not sure that this would be correct. If it was then just by adding iron you could reduce phosphate levels.

Ian

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

They add iron to lakes to remove the PO4 out of the water column..........

This reduces phytoplankton

But then the FePO4 drops into the substrate and is reduced and allowed to flux back into the system, then is oxidized again and reprecipitated back out.

The FePO4 will eventually be used by the plants and/or be exported.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

:) tom, then what your saying is that kno3.potassium, phospate, and trace should not be mixed together in container of water and dosed same day. i have allways put alll these ingredients together in container of ro water and dosed. is this wrong? thank you,cornhusker :confused:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I certainly would not mix the macors and the trace togather then add it.

I always add the the macro's dry anyway.
Then dose the trace liquid.

You can try this, take some water from the tank and put in a small glass, add some KH2PO4 and then add a few drops of Traces.........what do you see?

I know the practical is not that big of a deal but the theory behind it will not hurt and may help some.

Saves more on the traces which tend to be the most expensive part of dosing.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

tom, ;) thank you for clarifying that. i am going to start dosing dry. also you mention not dosing potassium at all ? or just sometimes. i have allways dosed once a week after water change. 1 1/2 tsp for 75 gal. tank and 1 tsp for 55. is there enough potassium in kno3 to do the trick?
thank you, cornhusker

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Sorry but I am still confused by this. As most fish tanks have some degree of phosphate content then any addition of Fe would produce FePO4 would it not?

Or is it just the higher concerntrations of the PMDD that do this. If not then I see no difference as to when it's added.

Also my PMDD formular contains no KH2PO4 so do I have the outlined problem? Should I separate the traces on this basis? My fish area looks like an alchemists store already. :)

Ian

m lemay

Prolific Poster
Jan 23, 2005
CT

The higher the concentration of PO4 is in a solution the more likely that you'll have a reaction with Fe. So yes in a fish tank with average levels of PO4 it is more likely that the plants will get to use the fe before it reacts with po4, Where as in a dosing solution, po4 levels are much higher and dwell time is much longer(sitting in a bottle for weeks at a time), this is a perfect environment for a reaction to FePo4.

Marcel

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States

Ian H said:
My fish area looks like an alchemists store already. :)

Ian

I saw the neatest setup at a fish show recently ... it was a 55 gallon on one of those black wroght iron stands ... underneath it, on the bottom shelf, was a really attractive Picnic Basket ... inside the picnic basket was a wide array of "supplies" .... one of the neatest ideas I've seen in quite some time ...

Now I wonder why I thought it was the neatest setup ?????????

Greg

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

m lemay said:
The higher the concentration of PO4 is in a solution the more likely that you'll have a reaction with Fe. So yes in a fish tank with average levels of PO4 it is more likely that the plants will get to use the fe before it reacts with po4, Where as in a dosing solution, po4 levels are much higher and dwell time is much longer(sitting in a bottle for weeks at a time), this is a perfect environment for a reaction to FePo4.

Marcel
As my PMDD mix contains no PO4 compounds can I safely assume that my traces within the mix are not being compromised?

Ian