This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Trace Diy Process/help

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by Bishop, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Bishop

Bishop Member

Local Time:
    8:02 PM
    Been trying to mix my own trace for a while now and had a few problems so wondered if there was a process or order to mixing them?

One of my issues which might be the cause of the others is the dry ingredients seem to react to my water.
    [​IMG]

The attached image is Zinc Sulfate in water nothing else. I have tried, glass, metal and plastic containers warm water ,cold water, tap water, filtered water, cold boiled water but always the same thing.

Using copper sulfate first seems to help slightly with Zinc but none of the others.

Zinc sulfate seems to all merge into big fluffy floaties.

Copper sulfate seems fine.

Sodium molybdate appears to group together and

Once Manganese sulfate is added that and the molybdate seem to group together and form a larger floating objects.

I don't add Boron.

Have given the bottle a good shake but the large floaties don't wana go anywhere.

I thought solubility at first but if we focus on zinc..

I'm adding 2g 'Zinc Sulfate' to 400ml water .
    And getting the reaction above.

After half an hour this is what the contents of the bottle looks like..
    [​IMG]

Anybody seen this, know what I am doing wrong?

Any advice would be helpful at this stage I think.

Ta

2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    2:02 AM
    Ive never seen anything like that using distilled water. What order you add them shouldnt matter

Also never seen Mo Mn or Cu do anything like that

Seems like it would have to be something in the water you're using. Either that or your Zn is some low grade impure stuff. In our pm a while back didnt you tell me it says 32% or something like that? Normally it's 35%, so that might be an indication there's something else in it thats causing a problem, idk just speculating.

Have you tried it with distilled water?

Bishop likes this.
  3. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:02 AM
    Try store your solution in a dark place , like a drawer , maybe light is causing this issues

4. Bishop

Bishop Member

Local Time:
    @burr740, In short, I haven't tried distilled water.
    Will grab some this weekend, seems not much else to try really. You did say to try so that's my bad, I can't actually rember why I didn't. I just couldn't help wonder this time.
    TDS of water is only 45ppm.

I do remember parts of that convo. I think I asked the guy afterwards and he said it was a typo in his email to me.

I'll try the distilled water and report back.

5. Bishop

Bishop Member

Local Time:
    I had thought it was left over fungus from bottle but this is fresh made and made separately from the dosing bottle in first image.

6. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    2:02 AM
    If distilled water doesnt fix it then there's something wrong with that Zn

Another thing that will help is to drop the PH by adding distilled vinegar to the water before adding the ferts. Something like 10 ml per 500 ml of water. I dont think this will stop the reaction you're seeing but its good general practice. Ascorbic acid is good too, .5 gram per 500 ml

7. Bishop

Bishop Member

Local Time:
    OK, I'll test the zinc on its own and see how I go and then test the other two together.
    Could very well be the ingredients but keen to eliminate all Possibilities.

Thanks for your help.

8. Bishop

Bishop Member

Local Time:
    Sadly not much help with the distilled water.
    The zinc salts seems to disolve and leave behind...somthing else.
    Wondering if maybe the dry zinc has a fungus.
    [​IMG]

Mobydelum and manganese are perfely fine when on their own. When dissolved together with no other elements they both seem to join together and form flakes

[​IMG]
    Not sure what else to try.
    Might try to streilize the cups and spoons. Any other suggestions.
    They didn't have white vinegar at shop so will get some on weekend.

9. X3NiTH

X3NiTH New Member

Local Time:
    This is exactly same thing that happened to me that I posted about in the Custom Micro thread. The pH of the receiving water is too high, I used RO/DI with 0 TDS and the same thing happened with the zinc, looks like pulped paper. 0.25g of Ascorbic Acid added to 450ml of the above RO/DI before addition of any salts dropped the pH to 3.2, addition of all the other salts then went completely into solution with no other reactions, crystal clear mix with zero precipitation (reason not 500ml of RO/DI is 50ml of liquid Fe Gluconate is added at end for Fe at 0.1ppm, I add FeDTPA here also for 0.05ppm).

The order I add the salts is Ascorbic Acid (ensuring full dissolution), Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate and Boric Acid as these can be easily weighed for this volume of mixture. I then add Sodium Molybdate followed by Copper Sulfate and then Nickel Sulfate (these three are added from their own bottles as a liquid but at a higher concentration (for easy weighing) so 1ml of each liquid added to the 450ml gives me the exact ratios I want), FeDTPA next so I can see it go into solution then the FeGluconte (the Humic and Fulvic acids in this supplement turn the liquid near black). Zero issues with this mix so far.

#9 X3NiTH, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  10. Bishop

Bishop Member

Local Time:
    Cheers for that. I did have a search for the topic but will have to look through that thread.
    This will hopefully be the thing that's holding my tank back and pretty excited to finally eliminate it as potential issue although unsure how much it effects my ppm

"Pulped paper" is exactly what it looks like.

Don't have the stuff to lower Ph yet but thought about this today and decided to mess around with it just to see if there was much difference between the PH.

In no way scientific But tried same amount of zinc in different Ph levels to see if I could get a visual difference and really just mess around a bit.

PH 8.4
    90ml Distilled water
    2g Zinc Sulphate
    [​IMG]

PH 4.6
    90ml Distilled water
    2g Zinc Sulphate
    [​IMG]

Thought the difference would be tiny but its really significant.
    Used peat moss in low Ph test, hence the tanins.

@burr740 & @X3NiTH, Thanks heaps for your help, will try and sort this over the weekend.

#10 Bishop, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  11. Bishop

Bishop Member

Local Time:
    Just an update..

Worked really well. Am pretty happy too as it's been like that for a while.

X3NiTH and burr740 like this.
  12. X3NiTH

X3NiTH New Member

Local Time:
    Addendum to my post above due to senior moment, I reported my iron values a magnitude too high, the values should read -

Fe Gluconate 0.1ppm
    Fe DTPA 0.05ppm

I've edited the above post to show correct values.

#12 X3NiTH, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Bishop likes this.