This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Tr-909 280l Tank.

Discussion in 'Journals' started by DeepMetropolis, Mar 30, 2018.

1. DeepMetropolis

Local Time:
    6:09 AM
    Hello all,

I'm about to start my new tank well if it is finished in one of the next two weeks or so, this will be my fist attempt to scape.
    The dimensons are 130x50x50cm, for filtration got me Oase biomaster 600 with thermo and will be using a Sera flore 500 reactor pressurized CO2. Lightning will be 2x Aqua medic Qube 50 maybe 3 if the spread is not sufficient enough but I will figure that out when my tank is here. For the substrate I got Ebi gold and sand for the front side. Stones are grey mountain or also known as elephant skin to some.
    At first i got myself a manzanita branch wich is pretty hard to get here in europe at least in the NL so i bought it second hand from a guy who wanted to make a lamp out of it.. :) Here is a photo : $_86.JPG

So this dimension definitely would not fit my tank with out a saw well after some thought a chopped the thing. Now i was waiting on the stones and it took more then two weeks to arrive but finally this is this is what i came up with :
    20180328_205334.jpg

In the front there will be some french river sand in the back the will be ebi gold. I got a list of plant i already got an will get in this tank.

Bucephalandra 'Mini coin black'
    Bucephalandra 'Deep Purple'
    Bucephalandra 'Medusa'
    Bucephalandra 'Mini black velvet'
    Bucephalandra 'Biblis'
    Bucephalandra 'Blue Green'
    Bucephalandra 'Brown (red mini)’
    Bolbitis heudelotii
    Microsorum pteropus trident
    Riccardia chamedryfolia
    Fissidens fontanus
    Vesicularia montagnei (Christmas)

Others plants i really want to add no matter what :)

Micranthemum monte carlo
    Hygrophila pinnatifida
    Anubias nana pangolino
    Bolbitis heteroclita difformis

There are some things I can't get a grip on from what really would fit, that are stem plants! I got Rotala sp green and Ludwigia mini red which I really like. Maybe there are some that have an thought on this?! The rest is kinda low medium light but I just fall in love with ferns and buce's.. I wanted wi try out some crypts too i never had these.

I hope that the will be great input from all of you and I will keep you posted on the whole thing. :)

Tim Harrison likes this.
  2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:09 AM
    Nice hardscape, especially like the Manzi.

DeepMetropolis likes this.
  3. DeepMetropolis

Local Time:
    Okay today i finally got my tank, after a 4h drive. There is a little sneak peek ofcoz... 20180407_003436.jpg

Christophe likes this.
  4. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:09 AM
    Beautiful, you have a good thing going here. If you can get a hard-scape to look good without plants, the rest is gravy. Really interested to see what you come up with. The wood is very unique, if you squeezed in a warm colour temperature light, it could really bring out the warm wood colour.

5. khanzer22

khanzer22 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I like the driftwood you picked... Following this thread :)

6. DeepMetropolis

Local Time:
    Thanks for the nice feedback everyone!
    I planted it now with a lot of crypt (my first time using a crypt) wonder how it would turn out. I got pogestemon broad leaf, enchinodorus uruguayensis ,rotala yao yai, and rotala green that looks way different emerged as an other one i had for my other tank. One had small slight elliptical dark green leaves the other is light green with more round and bigger leaves and small purple flowers. I really wonder wich one is the true one.
    As you can see I got a lot of 'easy plants' just to see how it works out and i want a not to hard to maintain tank with ultra super bright lightning and got lots of shading spots because of the spot leds in combination with the thick manzanita. Also have some gaps to fill but i really cant make up my mind i was thinking a bout a lotus even but i'm afraid it would grow to big and get the other plants out of proportion. Guess I really can figure it out if I can see all the plants in their submerged form filling up the place.
    I also had troubles filling the tank up and not anchoring the wood with stones. It's gone drifting and i never got it in the exact same spot again that it would sit tight and the lightning was as desired... :S
    Ooh and for the first time an CO2 reactor from Sera flore.. this works really great after coming from an inline chineese atomizer just no bubbles at all and a crystal clear tank thats just so super wonderfull.. Jeah I could have gone the diy route but the finding and the price of materials and trouble it was cheaper buying an ready to go one :)

Well thats it for now.. Pictures will come :)

7. DeepMetropolis

Local Time:
    20180422_142638.jpg

Sorry for the really bad phone camera picture but this is how it start to look planted ..

The full used plant list is : Bucephalandra 'Mini coin black', Bucephalandra 'Deep Purple', Bucephalandra 'Medusa', Bucephalandra 'Mini black velvet', Bucephalandra 'Biblis', Bucephalandra 'Blue Green', Bucephalandra 'Brown (red mini)’, Riccardia chamedryfolia, Fissidens fontanus, Vesicularia montagnei (Christmas), Bolbitis heteroclita difformis, Bolbitis heudelotii, Microsorum pteropus trident, Anubias nana pangolino, Micranthemum monte carlo, Hygrophila pinnatifida, Hydrocotyle tripartita "Japan", Echinodorus uruguayensis, Rotala sp. Green, Rotala Yao Yai, Alterna Reinickii, Pogostemon stellatus Broad Leaf, Cyptocoryne Wendtii, Cyptocoryne Wendtii “Brown”, Echinodorus tenellus, Limnophila sessiliflora.

The fish are Kardinals, Cory's sterbai, Apistogramma baenschi inka, Honey Gourami's, Sae, Japonica shrimp, Ottocinclus.

Maybe i change some of the plants dont know just see how it works out. After cleaning the tank yesterday the reactor started showing small co2 bubbles can't figure out whats the cause. At least i don't see crypt melt yet and no algae anywhere and the water stays crystal clear.

8. DeepMetropolis

Local Time:
    Re again, I got some GSA on the upper branches don't know what is the cause I am dosing plain EI using the RBCalc, Macros on sa, mo and we. Micros on every other day. 7h light period. Maby it is the Sunrise and Moonlight mode thats running since there is still some light for a longer period and the highest in the top of the tank?
    The GH is 4, KH is 6, PH 6,6.
    Here is a pic of the GSA : Image 2018-05-01 at 19.13.27.jpeg

9. DeepMetropolis

Local Time:
    Did some trimming on the rotala's and the pinnatifida need trimming every few days its spreading runners all around the place. The cryps are giving me some submerged leaves now slowly these are not fast growing plants with me. Had some troubles getting the co2 stable the dropchecker show more almost more yellow then green now but the fish seems to be doing fine.
    front 22-5.jpg

top 22-05.jpg

10. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:09 AM
    It’s really coming along :) I really notice a difference in overall tank appearance without the room lights on. How do you feel about the left side of your tank, with the forground, and those mid ground rocks in shadow? I feel like they could use some light to pick out the detail on them, since they are nice rocks, although I notice the branch is working against you here.

11. DeepMetropolis

Local Time:
    Ooh both pictures I took at daylight only with a different camera and the sunscreen was out. It looks darker then it is in reality. I think of buying a third light just to have a better spread. The Rotala green loves to grow to the left light to much. And i think if there is more light on the rear/left end the tank will look a bit bigger.

#11 DeepMetropolis, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  12. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    I like what I see, looks very well thought out. I think it was good that you had low light at the start of the tank, sure helped with plant and algae management. That being said the plants do look a little light starved, hard to work with such pinpoint light sources.

There are two rocks that distract but I will wait an see how the plant cover develops. Keep us updated.

13. DeepMetropolis

Local Time:
    So today I an extra light. I really want to keep it as low as i can but better spread means more plants get more light.. The thing the worries me is how will the ferns, buces and the top branches react to more light with algea.

Also wonder wich two rocks distract you?

14. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Depends on the dynamics of the whole aquarium what will happen. Both javas and buces are able to grow in high light without algae. They are able to grow just as well, if slower, in lower light.

Good think with such a setup is that you can adjust the light intensity to fit your needs just fine.

I did not mention them because the whole aquascape will change once the plants grow in. The problem areas will be easily covered by this growth. However, since you asked.. I've circled the rocks.
    front 22-5_edit.jpg

The one on the right- the juxtaposition with the wood and parallelism with the glass makes it look "unnatural". I suggest changing the angle a little bit or adding 2 other smaller rocks on the side of the wood there.

The one on the left - looks like a cube in this photo. Some plant growth will break the hard edges.

Like I said, just minor things... Great job overall

15. DeepMetropolis

Local Time:
    Thanks for the feedback, yes that square stone looks a bit off but there is a small buce on top of it I wanted that to grow over to the left side now it is slowly recovering showing some new leaves so it will get there eventually.. The right side I don't know will try other positions see how it works out.
    I'm glad that most people like it it is my first serious try for a scape after all :)

16. DeepMetropolis

Local Time:
    Picture update :) [​IMG]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

toads74 likes this.
  17. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Gorgeous!

Can you take a picture further back? I would love to see how it looks in the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. DeepMetropolis

Local Time:
    You mean like this?[​IMG]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

geektom likes this.
  19. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Yes! Gorgeous!

20. DeepMetropolis

Local Time:
    Thanks, it looks a bit smaller on a picture then irl but the table is quite big. I have around 50cm depth around the tank so every night the family can sit around the tank eating dinner and inspect the inhabitants (and plants). Need to make something for hiding the co2 and reactor under the table.

Good about the tank, changed the stones on the right side as Allwissend recommended and it looks indeed better! Thank you for that.
    Got a new regulator from the store as the old one had a bad needle valve that i had to adjust it everyday so now I finally have an stable rate of co2 in the tank. It has been one week now I'm going to wait another and see how the plants thrive. At least for now it looks that the GSA has stopt growing further i don't see any other algae.
    Ooh and the third light is installed as the picture already shows, it looks way better now and the plants loves it also.
    Added some vallisneria spiralis red on the left side behind the echinodorus to add a bit more hight and contrast to the light green leaves. Want to swap the wendtii brown that sits under the wood place it more to to the left and put an greener crypt there it now looks to dark the on pictures it even looks like a dark hole. Don't know what crypt get really bushy to put there i was searching the web and thinking about becketii or becketii petchii or just place the wendtii green that I already have.

Tags: