This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

toxicity of stem plant metal

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by tedr108, Jan 20, 2009.

1. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:02 AM
    I'm going to be using a bunch of that soft metal that is put around stem plants in one of my tanks. It's a short term project, maybe a few weeks. I will be making little U's to hold down my glossostigma tops, so they can root and grow lower.

That stuff isn't toxic to fish or inverts, is it? No doubt it would be pretty lame for the industry to use toxic material, but just wanted to double check.

Thanks in advance.

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Those weights used to be made of lead. Lead is a poison that accumulates in the body until it has bad effects. So, people believe that using lead weights in an aquarium is a very bad idea.

I used to use a lot of them and my fish seemed to live as long as they do now, when I don't use them. That means I don't know if lead really has bad effects or not.

I currently use lead-free plumbers solder when I need a plant weight, which isn't often. Those aren't as effective, since they are a lower density material, and they are "heavy metal" objects also, which could conceivably cause harm to the fish.

3. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the response, Hoppy. Well, I went ahead and used the metal pieces last night. Hopefully the glosso will root soon and I can pull the metal out asap. I seem to remember reading somewhere that at least some (if not all) of those metal plant weights do not contain lead any longer. I have so many pieces from so many sources, however, that I was a little insecure about it. The tank is still cycling (waiting for the last of the nitrites to leave, even as we speak), and I will add shrimp and fish slowly and observe them.