Total tank melt down

yashaswibs

Prolific Poster
May 31, 2009
Hi,

I have a 300 gallon tank with a 60 gallon sump with a continuous water change system, 4 * t5 48 inch bulbs, CO2 at 1 bubble per minute which was set up for about 1 1/2 months. I added 20 Corys, and after about 10 days added 20 Rams. After another 10 days added another 25 rams.

Over the next 4-5 days after adding the last set of Rams (from a reputable internet dealer, came very well packed ), i found 1 of the rams shimming (back and forth movement and fins closed down) and I increased the water change to about 100 gallon per day from about 50.

Over the next 3-4 days, all fishes died - everything- cory's, Rams and even a Betta. The water became cloudy. I tried changing the water as much as I could and must have changed it completely at least once.

I wrote off the initial loss as having too many fishes in an not yet settled aquarium.

Over the next couple of days my heavily planted tank started to die as well- all of it- Cabomba, Anubia, plenty of Crypts ( all of which had been thriving up until now ) Swords of different kinds - everything. The leaves of Cabomba stripped right off, crypts started to melt, Java fern wilted, Anubias started to turn yellow.

I have seen fishes die en mass. This is the first time I have an entire tank break down.

Any idea what is going on?

I recognize I have not posted any parameters because I have been very busy working. I will get a couple of days off shortly but I am still at a loss.

Thank you for taking time to read through the post

Pikez

Rotala Killer!
May 12, 2013
Close (but not too close) to LA
Sorry about all that loss.

I think you have two separate quality problems - fish quality and water quality.

Fish with poor health. You NEVER put new fish into a 300 gal tank. Always quarantine new fish in small tanks. Keep it there for a month or two. When they are healthy and eating, add to big tank.

I think your continuous water change system is probably at the root of the plant problems. May be some untreated water is getting through. ??

Until you have pics and detailed parameters, it's hard to help.

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
yashaswibs said:
CO2 at 1 bubble per minute which was set up for about 1 1/2 months.

Did you mean 1 bubble per second? 1 bubble per minute is nothing really.

What method are you using for adding the CO2, i.e. reactor, diffuser?

Sorry as well for the losses.

yashaswibs

Prolific Poster
May 31, 2009
Thank you for your replies

1. Water isn't treated prior to going into tank- there may be chlorine and chloramine issues- I hadn't tested for it but the fishes did ok for several days prior to everything dying. Quite likely I will need to check chlorine and chloramine levels and may add a filter prior to dropping water into tank

2. CO2- i did mean 1 bubble per second- its just bubble into the pump, going through return pipes from basement to 1st floor. I did consider that CO2 dumping could have been an issue.. but it was consistent and a new CO2 tank.

Appreciate your help

rajkm

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Sep 16, 2015
Hillsboro, OR
First, always treat water before adding. Since you are doing a continuous water change, you might want to add a carbon filter on the supply to strip off chlorine.

How much water do you replace daily?

Have you checked your nitrate?

Also do you have a water report of your supply? It may be good idea to get your supply tested for copper etc.

Pikez

Rotala Killer!
May 12, 2013
Close (but not too close) to LA
You will need a large in-line carbon canister if you want automatic water changes on big tanks. Otherwise you will have issues like this. Until you have that, do weekly manual water changes with water conditioner.

You have 360 gallons of water. Good CO2 equipment is critical. I'd guess that you need to be 10 to 20X higher bubble rate than 1 bubble per second. Get a good pH probe and calibration solution. Watch the pH instead of bubble count.