This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Total mess.. help needed

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by Sangeeth Ramanunni, May 1, 2017.

1. Sangeeth Ramanunni

Sangeeth Ramanunni Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:14 PM
    My tank is pathetic. Its a 24G tank with 75 W Led , 4bps Pressurized CO2, Eheim Liberty 130 + Boyu IPF 400L/Hr for filteration and nutrient rich Genesis soil.

I really struggled in the beginin to get steady Co2 and light to reduce the algae. Now my plants look pathetic. I am dosing EI. My dosing goes like this

Kno3 1/ 8 Tsp X 3 times a week

KH2PO4 1/64 tsp x3 times a week

CSMB 1/32 tsp X 3 times a week.

Some plants were stunt, so , assuming it was because of micro toxication, I reduced CSMB to 1/64 tspX3 times a week with no positive results.

Problems.

Ludwigia mini Super red: Small leaves, faded color, thin stems

Ammania Sp. Bonsai. Not growing above a level. Lower leaves getting decayed. Every 2 weeks, I have to cut the top and replant.

Sagitaria dwarf: Just the same as they were planted 2 months ago. no runners.

AR Burgundy: Same as Ammania Bonsai.

Java fern, WIndelov fern and needle fern: No growth.. Some are shrinking and a lot of black dots. I had to take them out twice to give H2O2 treatment o get rid of BBA.

Please check the pics. I am being advised to add MgSO4 and Ca SO4. I am depending on rotalabutterfly.com calculator to decide my dosage. Does anyone else think its Mg or Ca defficiency? If so, what should be my dosage. The rotalabutterfly calculator is advising a dosage that should be done thrice a week. But most people asks me to use it while Water changes only. I know this question is not complete but I am not good with words. I am looking forward to having some response soon and I ll clarify anything if there are questions

​​

​​ Believe me there is Ludwigia mini Super red

Ammania bonsai behind it. On the left side you can see Ammania Sulawesi. Shrunk and stunt

​ Ammania gracilis.... Still at its emersed form even after 1 month

​ Sagitaria. Just as they were when they were planted 2 months before

ferns so sad​ ​

#1 Sangeeth Ramanunni, May 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. Sangeeth Ramanunni

Local Time:
    Forgot to mention that KH2PO4 also is added.. 1/64 tsp x 3 a week

3. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    pics not working?

4. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    6:14 AM
    Yeah the pics arent showing up.

Do you know the GH of your water? The GH is made up of Ca and Mg, so knowing that will help determine if you need to add more. Also if you are using municipal tap water, should be able to google your city or town's water quality report and see about how much of each one it has.

Having said that, unless the gh is already very high, it usually doesnt hurt anything to add a little more just to cover this base.

Otherwise your dosing seems OK

If the black dots on the Java Ferns are on the underside of the leaves, that's natural reproductive spores, from which new babies will emerge.

What kind of light exactly, brand/model etc?

How are you diffusing the CO2? What time does it come on and go off?

See if you can fix the pictures. Its hard to say much without them

#4 burr740, May 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  5. Sangeeth Ramanunni

Local Time:
    Thanks a lot for responding. I really have no idead whats happening with the pictures. It took me more than an hr to upload them even after reducing the file size.

burr740 I have not yet tested GH yet.

1)Black dots are not only on the underside of the ferns. They are all over it.

2) Light is custom made LED. I am sure the light is not low. Recently I had to play with light strength and photo period to get rid of continuous attack of algae. LED strips are of SMD 2358 and there are 4 strips of them , each equivalent to my tank in length. Earlier the light was too much as a result of which algae bloomed and the background plant I had then were not growing tall. The maker of the light said the maximum wattage is 96 W.

One thing I must mention here that when I was dosing a branded fert, Ludwigia mini was showing good colors. They faded after EI dosing started. I assumed its the lack of Mg or Ca because those are the only thing I haven't added yet.

3) CO2 is diffused through an atomizer which is kept right below my HOB filter. I have a drop checker which turns yellow at the peak of CO2 supply and turns green hours after the solenoid is switched off. Earlier when I was experimenting with CO2, I tried up to 5bps as a result of which my cardinal tetras began to struggle for air and their colors went pale. Now I am running the system with 4 bps. If I switch the filters off for a while, I can see the pearling. Noe that I increased the flow by adding Boyu filter, the pearls formed vanish quickly.

I have set my timers like

6. Sangeeth Ramanunni

Local Time:
  7. Sangeeth Ramanunni

Local Time:
    Ammania gracilis.... Still at its emersed form even after 1 month

20170429_220802.jpg

8. Sangeeth Ramanunni

Local Time:
    I never had to trim these guys even after a month of planting

20170429_220829.jpg

9. Sangeeth Ramanunni

Local Time:
    Sagitaria looking healthy but not spreading at all

20170429_220824.jpg

10. Sangeeth Ramanunni

Local Time:
  11. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    If things were doing well with the name brand fert, perhaps now you have too much of something?

The tank is sparsely planted with mostly non-demanding plants. And considering the Aquasoil-type substrate you shouldnt need a whole lot in the way of ferts to begin with,

But you could try adding a little Ca and Mg just to check that particular box. Something like 10-15 ppm Ca and 2-3 ppm Mg on water change day. That'll raise your GH roughly 1 degree, double those amounts for 2 degrees, etc.

Unless the GH is sky high to begin with, raising it a degree or two isnt going to hurt anything.

If that doesnt help you could just stop dosing for a week or two and see what happens. That'd be my next move.

12. Sangeeth Ramanunni

Local Time:

13. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    The calculator probably defaults to 3x week when "Calculating for" EI.

Use "Dose to reach a target" and enter the ppm you want. It'll tell you how much to add

You can dose it all at once, or divide up into multiple doses. Total for the week (or between water changes) is all that really matters for these two.

Like I said above, 10-15 ppm Ca and 2-3 ppm Mg would be a good start, total for the week. Maybe more but it would help if you knew how much you had in the tap to begin with. In the meantime I wouldnt get too crazy with it.

Have you tried googling your municipality's water quality report? Not sure how that works in other countries, works in the US though.

#13 burr740, May 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  14. Sangeeth Ramanunni

Local Time:
    I am using well water. I can't / don't need to rely on the water supplying authorities and thats a blessing. So what all should we test the well water for?

15. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    The more you know about your water the better, I would at least test the GH and KH, the PH, and nitrates and phosphates

GH/KH would be a good place to start. Well water can be extremely hard in some places.

16. Sangeeth Ramanunni

Local Time:
  17. Sangeeth Ramanunni

Local Time:
    Hi, I got my well water tested. Here are the measurements.

PH 6

KH 1

GH 1

NITRATE 5 PPM.

So it looks like GH is low. I haven't yet got CaSO4. IS IT Ok to begin with MgSO4 only?

#17 Sangeeth Ramanunni, May 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    GH is made up from both Ca and Mg. The problem with only knowing the dGH value, is it doesnt tell you how much of each one there is. It could be all one thing, or the other.

However, the odds are in your favor that there's usually more Ca than Mg. So you should be fine adding 2-3, maybe 5 ppm Mg before you get the Ca,

But if that 1 is accurate, it'll be a good idea to add both when you can.

Something like 30 ppm Ca and 5 ppm Mg would be a good start (1x week after water change). That''ll raise the total dGH about 2 degrees.

Full EI calls for about 5 dGH. So you could double those amounts for 4, plus the 1 you have already. I doubt you really need that much but it wont hurt anything.

19. Sangeeth Ramanunni

Local Time:
    calculator in rotalabutterfly suggests these.

Mg 5ppm gives 1. 15 dgh

So to achieve a dgh of 3. 85 from calcium sulphate, it has to be dosed in a way so as to achieve 27. 5 ppm of Ca.

20. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Right, so 30 ppm Ca and 5 ppm Mg, 1x week at water change should be a good level to start with.

In this case, ignore the notation at the bottom that says 2-4 times a week. That's a default suggestion for EI, it has nothing to do with the values rendered. Just dose these two once a week after the water change.

If you want to split it up into multiple doses thats fine too, divide the totals (30 and 5) by how many times you want to dose between water changes. Most folks dose these two compounds 1 x week but it really doesnt matter either way