This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Top 200 IAPLC

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Yo-han, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Aquadream

Aquadream Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    6:55 PM
    Well look at all those Asian professional aquascapers what they do. Scape after scape after scape, because is their business and lively income. So what now, the owners of those aquariums should not enter, because the same guy made them? Is that moraly right? One of the BG entries is a 30L nano that I have made for a friend (it is published in this forum to) and I said so all over the world. The guy is looking after that aquarium for almost a year now. Is he not to enter, becase I made the scape in the first place?
    The guys that enter only one aquarium or just make one each year have to realise and accept that out there plenty of others are simply more productive and create more scapes for one reason or another.
    I am not sure that will be good idea to disregard all of that work, just because folks with one aquarium will object.

In BG we have a family of aquascapers, both the lady and the gentleman. They have been participating in our local contests as separate entrants and I know them personally. Are they not to enter because someone will say the same guy enters twice?

Before raising moral dilemas one should look from many different angles. Above all from the angle of supporting the development of this hobby. Is it better to have less entries or more?

#21 Aquadream, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The rules of competition are clear. ONE entry. If people want to find ways to get around that rule, is that moraly right? Should business and lively income be a part of the equation? Do they have advantages because of that?

If you made scapes for other people, they compete, receive the price and get the credit, that's fine with me, although they are just the owner, not the scaper. But if I see the same last name on three different high ranking scapes, with a different surname and I know for sure these surnames are from the wife and the two year old son, that's something else.

Now they are in fact different people, but come on, who's kidding who?

#22 dutchy, Jul 11, 2012
  3. Yo-han

Yo-han Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I don't see the problem. If I enter a competition, it doesn't matter if I need to make a better tank than 10 different people of 1 person making 10 tanks. I still need to be the best to win. I think it is nice people showing of there beautiful creations. I think my tanks are not in the right style to get into the top 200 but otherwise I wouldn't matter. The fake backgrounds bother me more, but then again, I don't think they make it up t the top 27.

4. Aquadream

Local Time:
    Those are somewhat extreme case, but ADA seems to close eyes, because of that.
    Last year Micheal Wong had few scapes in the top 100 and they all were with surrname Wong. I said it many times, it's business, not a contest with an ideal purpose.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I have little issues morally with more than one entry, I'm just asking is this not against the ADA rules, which have moral issues in and of themselves, but hey.......it's not MY CONTEST either...........
    I can see Aquadream's point and it's a valid argument, but not what I would do.

I've threaten to do similar things against the rules to make a point.
    Instead, I chose not to do them ultimately and bowed out from judging and competing altogether.
    I found it was not something I enjoyed and stifled the directions I wanted to go, but knowing thy self is more important than ANY contest.
    Rules maybe very rigid when applied to some and very open and loose when applied to another. I will say pigs get fed, hog's get slaughtered in general, but there may be nepotism occurring.
    But as I said....it's not my contest. They are 100% free to do whatever they chose.

6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The fake landscape ones that appear to be exact replications with clouds and fake little trees kill me. I really REALLY don't like those. They look like bad special effect sets before CGI came into use, I half expect to see a claymation dinosaur walking about. Their attempt to exactly replicate nature make them look unnatural. They are not to my taste, but someone out there likes them to reach top 200.

#26 ShadowMac, Jul 11, 2012
  7. Aquadream

Local Time:
    All I do there is play in their contest by their rules, written and un written. If they let so many people do the same then they don't really mind that and those rules haven't much meaning.
    Hell last year ADA put upfront in the top 27 scapes without fish and then made big time silly explanation, excuse and justification of why. Their decision was based on imaginitive reasoning, imagination.
    As I said earlier, it's their contest and if it's all ok with them then there is simply no rule braking.

I'v come to realise that this is the way most Asian based competitions work like.

I'm not gona pounder much on AGA 2011 where they had a judge that was contestant as well and was 1st place in one of the categories. The excuse was that he didn't vote in that category, rubbish. So what morals are we talking about here?

8. Aquadream

Local Time:
    +1 on this one from me.

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I agree with your logic and approach, just it is not my own, but......I've certainly thought about it:)
    Yes, the top 27 lacked fish or many, that's for sure.

You just needed to imagine the fish are there, the hardscape implies the fish are there right? hehe

But, it is their $ and time and contest. You can weasel around the rules and play that game, I chose not to play the game at all.
    If it's like you say, rigged, bias, poorly justified.........why do you still play? Those morals.

It's not like they are forcing you:gw

I think the trend has become less natural and more tacky over time with the ADA contest.
    I've yet to hear a good supportive argument for the tacky stuff.

"There's a line, and if you cross that............"
    Perhaps a few examples, but for myself, that line has been cross many times in quite a few contest.

10. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    So if more aquarist like bubbling treasure chest and sponge Bob.............tackiness kills. Amano himself has not gone there, but the contest sure has.

11. David

David Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    How on Earth did the artist get those rocks to appear to be floating in #98?