Too much powerhead for the tank?

madigan82

Junior Poster
Aug 7, 2012
Last night I took the dive and started setting up my tank. I know I should wait and go slower but I've had the components for about a month and I was itching to get it started. Anyway I have 29 gallon tank with a Marineland Maxi-Jet Pro 900. I initially had it in circulation mode but when I put my riccia in, the current basically blew it away. It came to pieces and just started going around and around and around. Was pretty funny. So I pulled out the powerhead and converted it to just the powerhead mode which has less circulation. That seems to have calmed it down but there were still pieces being blown around. When I woke up this morning, no random pieces. Yay right? Nope. They were all being sucked into the intake for the powerhead and the filter. So for now, I have the powerhead turned off. Is this just too much power for the tank? I also have a Marineland Penguin Power Filter 200. Could I get away with just the filter for circulation or should I look at a less powerful powerhead like a Hydor Koralia Nano 240? As an alternative, is there a way to slow the flow from the Maxi-Jet by either blocking it or lowering the voltage?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Yes!---Sponge On Intake?

Hi,

Yes, obviously too much powerhead…
:rolleyes:

The rest I will pm since it is not exactly part of your thread title.
:disillusionment:

Pm sent.
:)

Biollante

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Biollante;86414 said:
Hi,
The rest I will pm since it is not exactly part of your thread title.
:disillusionment:

Pm sent.

Biollante

Hi Bio,

May I ask why you have taken to using PM lately to respond to PUBLIC threads? You deprive all other forum members of the opportunity to learn from or support/challenge your advice/response... :)

The question was posed in a public manner, yet you are choosing to anwer only privately???

If someone sends you a PM by all means answer the same way....

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
A Double Standard Exists... I Know I Am Unpopular & Often in the Minority, So What

Hi Gerry,

Pm sent...

Biollante

madigan82

Junior Poster
Aug 7, 2012
Thanks Biollante. He/she suggested waiting until I have stuff in the tank to help break up the flow a bit or get a heavy sponge filter to go over the power head's intake. Picked one up at the fish store and it helps. Plus it will probably keep my power head running longer since it won't suck in any crud and acts as a mini filter.