This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Too much light?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by hadjici2, Dec 2, 2011.

1. hadjici2

hadjici2 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:19 AM
    Hello,

I have the following tank specs:

60cm L
    45cm H
    30cm W
    70L
    Glo T5HO 48W on for 7 hours
    Pressurized CO2
    External filter 900 L/h
    Dosing with EI

The tank is 3 weeks old and it has Eleocharis Parvula. No fauna.

The tank is full of diatoms algae and a bit of hair algae. Now the glass is covered with green spot algae.

I added 2 amanos a week ago but they died so I am not adding any more livestock yet untill I know whats wrong.

I am measuring Ph and Kh with those multipurpose strips and I get 6Kh and 6.8 Ph. I dont trust the readings though since they measure exactly the same when testing my tap water.

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The light level is not that bad, but you might raise it at least 20 cm. above surface level. Diatoms is normal for new tanks, this issue will resolve by itself when the Si level drops.

if you have GSA you might want to bump up the PO4 level to somewhat. If it persists, try to add more CO2.

The amanos might have died because the tank was not cycled yet and had a NH4 or NO2 spike.

3. hadjici2

hadjici2 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Can I remove the one 24w bulb and leave the other 24W instead of raising the light fixture by 20cm?

How do I increase the PO4 levels? Do I do that by adding one extra pump of my KH2PO4 solution? I now add 4 pumps from a container, should I make it 5 pumps?

4. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yes, one 24W T5 close to the water surface is already a LOT for your tank. I would add 50% more PO4. Together with less light, which will reduce CO2 demand form the plants, you have a good chance of eradicating the GSA as well as the hair algae. By the way, GSA takes a while. it will take arojnd two weeks before it stops growing. Watch if new leaves stay algae free. The old leaves don't recover.

5. hadjici2

hadjici2 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Should I add a couple of ottos or is it risky?

My kH hardness is between 7 and 8. Is this too high?

#5 hadjici2, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011
  6. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    No problem to add a few otos, they will munch the diatoms. KH 7 to 8 is quite normal, you don't need to change it unless you have plants with special requirements, like Erios, Toninas etc.

7. hadjici2

hadjici2 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    It seems that algae now grows less aggresivly. However the brown algae still continues to grow on the leaves of the eleocharis parvula. I noticed that it grows on the leaves where no direct water flow occurs. I mean under the outflow of the filter, there is no brown algae on the leaves.

Furthermore, I have increased the EI dosing from 4 pumps to 5 pumps just to ensure adiquate amount of nutrients.

Lets see by the end of the week....I am unsure of the CO2 though. How do I know if
    1. I have enought CO2 in my tank
    2. It is not lethal for fish so I can add 2 ottos?

8. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The brown algae will vanish by itself over some weeks, this is normal for an uncycled tank. Annoying anyway. 2 otos woild be ok, this doesn't put a lot of bioload in your tank, so no problems should be expected. To make your tank cycle faster you can throw a bit of fish food in just once.

9. priv_sim

priv_sim Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Dropchecker would help to see safe co2 levels for adding fauna. But for maximazing your co2, best "test" is fish. Slowly increase your co2 (increase by a small fraction, wait for 1-2 days) and watch the reaction of fishes. When they start to gasp for air back of co2 a bit. This method took me about 3 weeks to start seeing some distress in fishes.

10. hadjici2

hadjici2 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks priv_slim! Will do that.

I believe that the brow/diatoms algae is now gone! However I have the following problems:

1. Hair algae is observed to grow on the Eleocharis Parvula mostly situated in the four corners of the tank. I thought of water circulation but a 70 litre tank powered by a 900 L/h filter seems good enough to me. Plus I only have 24w over my tank at the moment.

2. I have noticed a small patch of cyanobacteria (BGA). I don't know what to do with this.

3. Hair algae grows on the glass.

4. The Eleocharis parvula doesn't seem to spread alot but it gets denser and denser in certain areas of the tank. For example it is very dense near the filter output but doesn't spread near the filre input. The best growth is exactly in the middle of the tank!

5. Some bundles of Eleocharis Parvula seems to have a good rooting system but others, mostly the ones affected by hair algae, seems to get plugged out very easily.

P.S: I have increased my CO2 levels but maybe not enough and also I have increased my EI dosing so as to ensure adequate amount of nutrients e.g from 4 pumps to 5 pumps. Light levels were dropped from 48w to 24w and it seems that sometimes part of the tank is hit by direct sunlight which I took care of today.

Any advice people?

Thanks!

11. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Hairgrass grows slow/not at all above ground for the 1st 2-3 weeks then goes quick after, the tank is a mere 3 weeks old.
    Do water changes, like 70-80% every other dsaya if you have algae, add Excel at 10-15 mls per day, add more CO2, run lights for 6 hours or so.
    Clean all the algae when you do the water change, trim the tops of the old Hairgrass during a water change, but leave new growth alone.

Adjust CO2 carefully and slowly.

Shrimp would help a great deal.

12. hadjici2

hadjici2 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1. Is 10-15 ml of excel daily going to kill any fauna?

2. If I dose EI in the morning when should I do the water change? Will this not defeat the purpose of EI though? I mean why not dose less instead of doing water changes?

Thanks

13. hadjici2

hadjici2 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hello....anyone....Tom.....someone???? :p

14. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Water changes are not the real reason to dose EI, but since many do a lot of them anyway, it makes dosing management easier, but you can tweak and reduce dosing certainly in most tanks.
    the Excel is fine for this tank.

Water changes help keep the tank clean and helps to control most algae.