Tonina lotus blossom decays from the bottom up.

JellieTG

Mar 22, 2022
Sweden
I've been having problems with my tonina LB for while now. It grows quite decently, though the old growth melts after awhile leaving a hard stem.
All of my parameters are good. Ill link them below.
Ph: 5.5
Gh: 4
Kh:0
CO2: 45-60ppm
Light at the plant: 200-210 umols given by a WRGB2 running at 100%
Weekly dosage of ferts
20ppm N
2ppm PO4
20ppm K
0.5 ppm Fe
I have tropica soil.

JellieTG

Mar 22, 2022
Sweden
Any pictures available? That'd help...
Sorry for such a late reply, I've been busy and it's left my mind.
3E5D44DA-ACB2-44D8-A6D8-066B4C126F65.jpg

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Thanks for the picture. From what I see you have a lot of algae. It is possible your light is too much for your plants to handle (you have very strong light!)

Here are some more questions for you:

1. How do you know you have 45-60 ppm of Co2?
2. How long ago did you set up your tank?
3. How long is your photoperiod?
4. How's your filtration system?

That's it for now ;)

JellieTG

Mar 22, 2022
Sweden
Thanks for the picture. From what I see you have a lot of algae. It is possible your light is too much for your plants to handle (you have very strong light!)

Here are some more questions for you:

1. How do you know you have 45-60 ppm of Co2?
2. How long ago did you set up your tank?
3. How long is your photoperiod?
4. How's your filtration system?

That's it for now ;)
I have a drop checker, calculated using ph drop and ive calculated using my co2 usage at 80% efficiency. The tank is 7-8 months old, the tonina has been there for maybe 6. My photo period is 8 not including 0.5h sunrise and sunset. My filtration is a fluval 207 at max power. The Algae is from a major oops.. up on chihiros part, the app disconnected while i was away from home leaving it on for almost a week straight. I'm working on fixing that right now.

Reactions: fablau

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
I have a drop checker, calculated using ph drop and ive calculated using my co2 usage at 80% efficiency. The tank is 7-8 months old, the tonina has been there for maybe 6. My photo period is 8 not including 0.5h sunrise and sunset. My filtration is a fluval 207 at max power. The Algae is from a major oops.. up on chihiros part, the app disconnected while i was away from home leaving it on for almost a week straight. I'm working on fixing that right now.

Very nice, thank you for the info! My last questions:

1. How much is your pH drop?
2. Does your Co2 system is inline or via diffuser?
3. What's your micro ferts mix?

And also, is it possible to have a picture of the complete tank so I have an idea of how plants are distributed and how is their density?

Thanks.

Fab.

JellieTG

Mar 22, 2022
Sweden
Very nice, thank you for the info! My last questions:

1. How much is your pH drop?
2. Does your Co2 system is inline or via diffuser?
3. What's your micro ferts mix?

And also, is it possible to have a picture of the complete tank so I have an idea of how plants are distributed and how is their density?

Thanks.

Fab.
My ph drop is usually around 1.7ph, i currently use a twinstar rio M. My micromix is pre-made. The concentration of minerals are as follows:
Iron 20g/l, Manganese : 10g/l, Zink: 2,9g/l, Boron: 4g/l, Copper: 0,52g/l. Molybdenum 0,75g/l.

JellieTG

Mar 22, 2022
Sweden
My ph drop is usually around 1.7ph, i currently use a twinstar rio M. My micromix is pre-made. The concentration of minerals are as follows:
Iron 20g/l, Manganese : 10g/l, Zink: 2,9g/l, Boron: 4g/l, Copper: 0,52g/l. Molybdenum 0,75g/l.
I'll provide an older picture due ro the fact im embarrassed about how my tank looks atm.

Attachments

• DSC_0922.JPG
    DSC_0922.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 158

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
I'll provide an older picture due ro the fact im embarrassed about how my tank looks atm.

Nice tank! No need to be ashamed, maybe a little over-grown, but it looks great ;)

Well, from your description it looks like you are doing nothing wrong. My first step would be to try to reduce "mass" and separate plants a little bit to leave some space between each other. Next, if that doesn't help, I'd try to reduce the light intensity a little bit, step-by-step.

JellieTG

Mar 22, 2022
Sweden
Nice tank! No need to be ashamed, maybe a little over-grown, but it looks great ;)

Well, from your description it looks like you are doing nothing wrong. My first step would be to try to reduce "mass" and separate plants a little bit to leave some space between each other. Next, if that doesn't help, I'd try to reduce the light intensity a little bit, step-by-step.
The thing is, that my good friend also recommended the separation of the tank stems, which causes me to loose all my stems except the two half alive ones i got now

Seattle_Aquarist

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2008
Seattle, WA
I've been having problems with my tonina LB for while now. It grows quite decently, though the old growth melts after awhile leaving a hard stem.
All of my parameters are good. Ill link them below.
Ph: 5.5
Gh: 4
Kh:0
CO2: 45-60ppm
Light at the plant: 200-210 umols given by a WRGB2 running at 100%
Weekly dosage of ferts
20ppm N
2ppm PO4
20ppm K
0.5 ppm Fe
I have tropica soil.
Hi @JellieTG

I see you have DKH = 0 and dGH = 4. Are you doing anything specific to get the water that soft? Is that how it comes out of the tap?

The leaves seem to emerge from the stem looking healthy and as they mature they seem to decline eventually loosing their green coloration and becoming necrotic at the end. It also appears there is premature loss of leaves based upon the small stem in the foreground. This also appears to be happening to the Limnophila aromatica to the left of the Tonina. I will wait until you respond to the questions above before providing some suggestions. Also, if you could provide photos of some other plant species in the tank it may help as well. -Roy