This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Tonina Fluviatilis

1. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    10:59 AM
  2. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    11:59 AM
    Plant of the week: Monday 15th Jan 2018

This startlingly green plant attracts many hobbyists only to break and float away. I was only recently able to get a few stems so have limited knowledge on the specie. Therefore, look forward to your input @everybody. I have seen mentions of this plant from @burr740 @Pikez and of course @Dennis Singh .

Here are some mentions of this plant on the forum:
    "Tonina fluviatillis seem to need higher par even more than syngonanthus."
    "Initially I blamed it on having KH of 6-7, thought my water was just too hard. The Tonina all died out before I cut back..."
    "That [after adding 2ppm Fe-CSMB, 1ppm Fe-DTPA, 0.7ppm Fe-Flourish Comp ] is when things improved.drastically. "

AGREE ? DISAGREE ? What is your experience with the species ?
    How high can you take the KH and GH ? What about TDS?
    Does the substrate have to be acidic?
    Does temperature play a role ?
    What causes the melting of lower leaves ?
    How can you better propagate the stems ?
    How easy is it to keep it emersed ?

Photographs always welcomed,from deficient to flowering :)

Tonina Fluviatilis.jpg

3. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Soft, acidic water. Rich CO2. Medium light.

Ferts are probably not that important, but it will handle and appreciate EI.

In the wild, this plant grows over sand that's seasonally flooded with near distilled water with pH of 3.8. Yes, you read that right. So you could easily keep it in 0 KH and almost 0 GH but it will probably want a ppm or two of Ca and Mg. I cannot think of another plant that requires less Ca and Mg. But it did not seem to mind higher Ca or Mg.

Having said that, I have not grown it in sand and pH 3.8 or anything close. Herd mentality says keep it in Aquasoil and soft water and that seems to work just fine. Seems to have naturally small root system when grown this way.

The plant has a reputation for not liking crowded conditions, but that's probably a reaction to suboptimal growth conditions.

Allwissend likes this.
  4. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    2:59 AM
    Aside from what Vin said. Needs more co2 than other plants. And higher lighting. Or the bottoms will turn brown without the excess co2 and lighting penetration. Soft acidic water is a must like PIkez said. Root systems are hardly developed, thin whispy aerial roots. "Perhaps" light root systems from the bottoms but I do not recall or they were just aerial roots into the soil. This being said i presume that they absorb nutrients mostly through the leaves. Water column dosing is a must for this plant. The more the better. Algae will hinder the plant and block light from the leaves. Float a stem if in doubt, it will grow that way as well as side shoot. Propagation method is via sideshoots, topping, bottoms will grow sideshoots as well.

Allwissend likes this.
  5. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time: