Tom's gh booster question

CherylH

Junior Poster
Aug 5, 2005
Couple of quick questions:

1. Does this product replace products like RO Right of Seachem's Equilibrium?

2. How's the magnesium content in this product? It seems like the other 2 leave my tank short on magnesium.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Tom's gh booster question

It has more Mg than SeaChem's EQ.

You should not be short if you use 1-2 degrees worth a week.

RO right is not the same as a Gh builder.
This does not replace that.

The gH bulder and the baking soda will do all you need and much cheaper.
If you honestly think you need more Mg, add a 1/4 teaspoon once a week per 20 gal of epsom salt.
That's real cheap.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Not a problem to rule out a nutrient and make it cheaper for you.
I've never used RO right, but it does not do what you would think, replace the KH/GH.

If you ever think a nutrient is causing a problem, adding a bit more is often the cure. And it's usually CO2, once you see high growth rates and good pearling etc, then you know what to look for.

Regards,
Tom Barr

CherylH

Junior Poster
Aug 5, 2005

That's good to know. I'd been treating RO Right as if it were similar to Equilibrium and using whichever was convenient. I'd noticed that when things started looking "off" adding a little extra epsom salt seemed to help.

I'm a DIY CO2 kinda gal, so I'll never reach the levels you advocate. Even so, I'm able to pick up good info from what you write. The most important being that I used to be way too stingy in feeding my plants. They do much better with the more generous levels you advocate.

Tom Wood

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Kerrville/Austin, Texas

For our purposes RO Right does RO wrong. It adds very little GH, maybe 1 degree. All it adds is TDS (total dissolved solids) as some sort of 'background' level of 'stuff' in the water. I'm not even sure what the purpose is.

TW

Edit: Here's an odd thread where it appears that Seachem conceded that someone else's calculator got the calculations for K+ in EQ correct compared to Seachem's own folks. The question that remains - Was it formulated wrong to begin with pertaining to K+? Apparently EQ doses a lot of K+ in relation to everything else:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/showthread.php?t=11025

fertfriend.jpg

http://www.fishfriend.com/fertfriend.html

CherylH

Junior Poster
Aug 5, 2005

TW--thanks for the link. I've had a pleasant hour skimming through some of the articles.

Cheryl

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

So stay away from that stuff, use Baknig soda(cheap!), and the GW's GH builder(alos cheap!!).

The version I use has much less K+ and more Mg than SeaChem.
Regarding DIY CO2, simply using that DIY 2$ Reactor will do wonders..........I mean it, it will do wonders for ANYONE using DIY CO2.

I am well heeled today, but most know I was a poor student for many years, riding the coat tails of my client's high tech equipment in luie of a real source of $$ for hobby play.

But now I can use whatever I want, still, there is no need to waste money either:) And the GH builder from GW also does not cake and turn into a brick.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Wood

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Kerrville/Austin, Texas

Hey TBarr,

But I want to know *exactly* what I'm dosing, so I won't use anything unless it is included in a calculator that I can trust. You and Greg need to build a simple calculator for the stuff you are selling/recommending. I don't want to do the math each time, I just want to plug and play.

TW

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Greg said he used something I suggested some time ago, I know generally what is in it, but not precisely.

I know he adds less K2SO4, more MgSO4.

Beyond that, you need to ask him.
I am more concerned with having enough of Mg, Ca, which is estimated generally, so a precise ppm is not required for GH anyway unless you want to answer one of two questions:

What s the bare minumum, or what is the maximum, but the range produced as measured via GH kit should be pretty good.

So if you add 1-2 degrees more GH once a week after the water change, via this, you will never have an issues with Ca/Mg.

If you believe you do, you need to look elsewhere.
I've had all sort of tap over the years, I've never found this general and quite simple method to ever fail.

Now you might have something other than Ca/Mg issues causing your problems, but not Ca/Mg.

Mg issues have popped up but they are very easy to rule out, so we added more of that and less K+ since we get plenty from KNO3.

Tap's GH is never all Mg and no Ca, so the Ca issues are very rare.

So if you want the analysis, gotta bug Greg.

Regards,
Tom Barr

CherylH

Junior Poster
Aug 5, 2005

Tom Barr said:
And the GH builder from GW also does not cake and turn into a brick.
Awesome--that's one of my pet peeves about the other products!

It was seeing it on Greg's site when I was ready to reorder nitrate that prompted the question. If I'm using this with RO water is it enough for gh or do I still need to add other stuff? I do use baking soda for kh--or just add back some tap water.

One more question (you're creating a monster)--is there info on the reactor you mentioned somewhere here at your site?

Thanks,
Cheryl

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Yes, the public archives has the DIY venturi reactor plans and layout pics.

GH- that is all the GH booster adds
KH- use baking soda

If you use RO, blend RO with tap to get the KH you need, top off any GH.

If you want to use nothing but RO(no need to), then add about 2 KH and 3 GH.

GH/KH vary and so do the needs of the aquarist, so there is no good all in one KH/GH booster really.

For plants, 2KH/3Gh from these two products will give you all the need.

I use RO now I have very high GH/KH, but GH alone does little to the plants as long as you have enough of both Ca and Mg.

Regards,
Tom Barr