This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Tom's being talked about!

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by vidiots, Mar 16, 2007.

1. vidiots

vidiots Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    3:39 PM
    Hello,
    The other night I went to a meeting of the New Hampshire Aquarium Society. They had a guest speaker named Bailin Shaw, who gave a very good presentation on raising aquarium plants. I think he did a very good job of explaining a plant tank setup in simple terms that those new to plants could clearly understand.

He also highly recommended Tom Barr's "EI" method of dosing, and gave a brief description of what it was. There will probably be a number of new people checking out this sight as a result.

Just thought I'd let Tom know that people on the other side of the country were saying nice things about him.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Bailin is a nice guy, I know him.
    He's pretty active in the clubs.

If you help others, they will help more folks, which will help more folks and so on.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. George Farmer

George Farmer Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yes, EI is becoming more popular in the UK too, despite some negativity from an "old-school" writer for PFK (Practical Fishkeeping magazine).

Thankfully PFK has another writer that's a little more open-minded.....

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Well, I actually answer critics and can explain myself.

That makes me a lot different than most.
    It also means I end up in debates with all sorts of folks, many of whom do not understand a debate process and think it's a personal argument and ego/pride driven.

That's some of the trade off. :cool:

But.......most folks I believe and hope, are wiser, can see through to gaff.
    I feel many have the common sense to hear the response, think about it, test it and see conclusions can be made from the observations and what assumptions can we rule out.

I do admit I become aggressive towards folks that make claims about things they have clearly never tested and given much thought about, PO4, NO3 dosing of the water column are a couple that often come to mind.

These same folks also have no issues dosing CO2 oddly..........again with no integrating concept between nutrients and Carbon and with very poor test methods which many insist are critical to monitoring(which is clearly false).

Regards,
    Tom Barr