Tom's BBM Trace mix

Tex Gal

Junior Poster
Nov 14, 2007
Joshua, TX
Tom - Did you ever decide to mix up this trace mix and sell it? I'm thinking about changing from CSM+b to something that doesn't cloud my water. I've thought about TMG but its expensive.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Tex Gal;40387 said:
Tom - Did you ever decide to mix up this trace mix and sell it? I'm thinking about changing from CSM+b to something that doesn't cloud my water. I've thought about TMG but its expensive.

Yes, Alan and I still discussing it. Mostly $ at this point.

You obviously............are in Texas.

Hard KH water is the norm there, it does not surprise me that ETDA Fe clouds............try Sequestrene 330, mix that about 1/3 to the CMS+B.

This will still cloud, but not as much. At lower KH's, you will not have as much clouding with ETDA chelates.

Till Alan and I get this done, that's the best alternative for now.
Seachem is even worse for high KH.

Regards,
Tom Barr

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
CSMB gave me the same results and before I switched to RO, and now slowly back to straight tap. I started using S-330. Fairly cheap, but I could only find it in 5lbs quantities. But price per pound cheaper than any other alternatitive. But 5lbs will last a very very long time. It may be worth it to go in on a bag with a few others and cut the cost. Would be nice if Alan carried a DTPA Fe. A good chelated Fe does make a difference.

Also on the subject. Is it me or is S-330 fluffier and tend not to seperate like EDTA Fe sources. My old EDTA Fe would eventually need constant mixing and was very flat and a finer powder. S-330 stays fluffy and consistant, and tends to have a crystaline sheen to it. Just an odd observation.

Tex Gal

Junior Poster
Nov 14, 2007
Joshua, TX
This is what SEACHEM says about their product. It infers to me that this is not an EDTA Fe product. Are you telling me that you think it is EDTA Fe?

Why It's Different
Plants are able to much more easily derive a benefit from Flourish Iron™ than from EDTA-iron sources because all EDTA iron is in the ferric (Fe+3) state. Since plants require iron in the ferrous (Fe+2) state, additional physiological energy must be expended in order to extract the ferric iron from EDTA-iron and then convert it to the ferrous form.

I will look for the Sequestrene 330 product.

Yes, I am in TX. The funny thing about my water is that while I do think I don't have soft water, my tank water test GH 3 and KH

Soggy

Junior Poster
Jun 27, 2007
Oh so thats whats causing the random cloudiness in my tank! I never suspected CSM+b. :eek:

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
Tex Gal;40424 said:
This is what SEACHEM says about their product. It infers to me that this is not an EDTA Fe product. Are you telling me that you think it is EDTA Fe?

-snip-

I think Tom was referring to CSM+B not Seachem's.