Tom quarantine tank: what plants are those

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

I often see those two plants grown together. This is a photo from Tom quarantine aquarium

Anyone helps me identifying them:

And are they easy to maintain?

many thanks for your help

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
R wallichii and the other is D diandra.

Regards,
Tom Barr

TheKillHaa

Prolific Poster
Oct 31, 2007
Darkstar;35743 said:
what is that down in front?.. green w/ the top leaves starting to reden slightly.

could be a rotala sp.... (rotundifolia?) but looks weird,

but what looks more weird is to have such a nice R Wallichi, so probably could be RR :rolleyes:

T.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Darkstar;35743 said:
what is that down in front?.. green w/ the top leaves starting to reden slightly.

Limnophilia "mini" I think, it's a nice group plant, makes good mid and backgrounds.
Fairly common these days and nice plant.

Regards,
tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
TheKillHaa;36176 said:
could be a rotala sp.... (rotundifolia?) but looks weird,

but what looks more weird is to have such a nice R Wallichi, so probably could be RR :rolleyes:

T.

The pic is not good, there's a lot of haze and mist, and the color is better in my other tanks.

This is a nice plant for color:

sideviewresized180week4.jpg

L pantanal, damn weed though, grows about 5-6 inches a week.
I can grow it slower with lower light and if I forget to trim it, it gets those fat leaves, so it does not look so nice then.

I have changed the lighting so there's only 1 hour or so of HQI on to reduce growth rates, then about 2w/gal from then on, but at 14" height from the surface, so the light is noit that bright really.

Saves on light bulbs and electric cost, as well as heat during the warm hot summers in CA.

Here is the same plant using 4.5 W/gal of PC lighting at about 3X the intensity for 10 hours:

resizedsideview20.jpg

Some others from this tank, the L pantanl never got as big since the tank was smaller and they needed trimmed often:
resizedcubapantanal1.jpg

Regards,
Tom Barr