This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Tom EI help

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by rick4him, Mar 4, 2008.

1. rick4him

rick4him Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    11:42 AM
    Tom,
    I just paid for a membership, so I wanted to post this here, I'm assuming you read this more then the free one.

Here is my dosing schedule

Dosing Schedule
    Sun - No dosing
    mon - 50% water change - 1/4 tsb K2SO4, 1/2 tsp GH booster, 1/4 tsb of KN03, 1/16 tsp KH2P04
    tue - 1/16 tsb trace (kent, tropica, etc)
    wed - 1/4 tsb of KN03, 1/16 tsp KH2P04
    thur - 1/16 tsb trace (kent, tropica, etc)
    fri - 1/4 tsb of KN03, 1/16 tsp KH2P04
    sat -1/16 tsb trace (kent, tropica, etc)

As you can see I only dose KS204 on Monday's after my water change. I have read that people dose it 3x a week. Meaning I should also dose it on days I do my macro's. What do you guys guys think?

What would happen if I didn't have enough k2so4 in my tank? How do I know if I have enough, and what is it used for?

Any suggestions on my dosing?

it looks like I'm not getting enough "K'. What do you think?

Well I was doing the math, and I'm I'm doing my math right, I'm adding only 8.25 "k" into my tank once a week. (via K2SO4) Plus I am getting a very small amount of "K' from my KNO3. So if I am doing my math right, there is no way I am any where around the recommended level of 20ppm, thus meaning my plants aren't getting enough "k".

Also it looks like I am adding WAY to much kh2p04 into my tank. (IF I am doing the math right) it looks like I'm adding around 10-13 ppm of phosphate to my tank, when the suggested level is around 1.0 ppm.
    which would cause issues in my tank.

thoughts?

Also it says that you use the "suggested" amounts if you have high light/high planted. If not use 50% - so I'm not sure if my tank is highly planted or not. SHould I use less ferts, more, change some things, etc.

HELP.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Well, that same type of routine, the only differences was more plants and I used TMG is the same routine I did for this tank for 3 years:

25Galhardwatertank.jpg

Cafireresized.jpg

25Galhardwatertank.jpg

DSCN0195.jpg

Regards,
    tom Barr

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    You have plenty of K+, and PO4, and NO3.
    You'd do fine with 1/2 the dosing also.

But excess is not an issue nor a problem.

As the above tanks can testify after 3 years of running, that's a 25 gal tank BTW.
    110 W PC's etc.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. rick4him

rick4him Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks!

So really the only I need to worry about is co2, right?

Is a drop checker the best way to figure out if my co2 is right? I think I may have to much co2 now. At the end of day the drop checker is almost clear it's so yellow. Then in the morning it's yellow/greenish. Isn't it supposed to be back to blue? Do I have to much co2?

Should I be doing something else?

Also I am dosing ferts, dry, as you can see. Do you think it would be better if I dissolved the ferts in small 300ml bottles, and dosed with a dropper, or is what I"m doing fine?

Also what is the best amount of time for my lights? I've heard everywhere from 8-12 hours.

5. rick4him

rick4him Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks!

So really the only I need to worry about is co2, right?

Is a drop checker the best way to figure out if my co2 is right? I think I may have to much co2 now. At the end of day the drop checker is almost clear it's so yellow. Then in the morning it's yellow/greenish. Isn't it supposed to be back to blue? Do I have to much co2?

Should I be doing something else?

Also I am dosing ferts, dry, as you can see. Do you think it would be better if I dissolved the ferts in small 300ml bottles, and dosed with a dropper, or is what I"m doing fine?

Also what is the best amount of time for my lights? I've heard everywhere from 8-12 hours.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Focus on CO2 the most.
    Nutrients are easy.
    Drop checkers are nice and easy to use, but they are slow to respond and the color differences are not easy to determine with great accuracy.
    10-11 hours of light per day is good.

Regards,
    Tom barr

7. rick4him

rick4him Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Oh ok! thanks.

I have been doing around 8, I'll up it a little bit.