This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Toads Tank Thread

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by toads74, Jan 23, 2017.

1. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

On your suggestion about stopping co2 before lights out... thanks for the reminder! I forgot that I need to readjust that after changing the reactor setup. :)

2. rajkm

rajkm Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

You can run longer. I run 10 hours, 10.30 am to 8.30 pm and see no issues. I just run lower lights like 50umol.
    Highlights over longer duration is also fine as long as your tank is balanced to those light levels.

3. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Ok, that's mostly what I was thinking. I'm not sure what the minimum night period would be, but I would think somewhere around 8 hours, wild guess, from my understanding of terrestrial plants.

4. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Ugh update... No pics... I'm too embarrassed. Ok, so not that bad, can post some if ya want. It could be a lot worse. I haven't had stable co2 for about three weeks now, some of that time none at all, so the tank has declined quite a bit.

First I redid the reactor setup by adding an itsa before the Cerges. Took a few days to get the co2 dialed back in to where it was. Unfortunately killed a couple fish in the process. Got the ph drop to 1.2 and seemed stable.

The following week I left town and when I came back ph was way out of whack. Made a few adjustments over a few days and got it back in line.

Then I spotted some extra BBa and GDA on the leaves a couple days later. Double checked the ph drop again.... yep... way out of whack.... again. Blaming a temperamental needle valve - true or not I'm sticking to it! /grrr

Ph probe died.... ordered another. At this point no clue what the ph was doing, just going by "feel", a skill I haven't developed yet...

Got the probe... readjust.... again. Beginning signs of plants receding.

Co2 cylinder empty, turned off the lights and refilled the next day.

Couple days later, no co2 in the reactor.... grrrr again. Timer messed up, forgot to turn it back on after maintenance (cylinder replacement). String algae appears...

Come home today, timer borked. Reset itself back to factory settings. Yet again, no co2. String algae grows bigger, much much more BBa, bunch of dying leaves..... expecting an algae explosion....

:(

Oh... and the reef tank also decided to have a bacteria bloom last night... gone today though. :eek:

I sense a conspiracy....

5. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Yes ;)

6. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

You asked... hehe... I plucked a bunch of dead stuff already.

Dale Hazey, DutchMuch and Phishless like this.
  7. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Yay! I got some new critters! They are so cute! And best of all, they were free! 100+ of these little things called "planaria" or something like that!

DutchMuch likes this.
  8. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

So with that being treated with No Planaria, and BBA going crazy now, I'm wondering if I should rip out the scape and do some deep vacuuming of the substrate along with some massive water changes. I'm sure that will kick off a mini cycle. What's the chance of just the planaria dying off kicking off a cycle on its own? I'm going to be doing daily water changes over the next week or so during and after treatment. Keep in mind up until recently I was grossly feeding and had a heavy bioload, and switched to minimal bioload and feeding.

I'm leaning toward the deep vacuuming to "reset" things. I'm in no way attached to the scape, and thinking of redoing it anyways at some point.

9. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Yea im having a planaria problem to, nothing knew to me however. I also use/d no planaria, good product.
    Don't do this (quoted), lower how much you feed. Fast for 2 days, then after words slowly start feeding your inhabitants again. But don't feed as much as you are now.

10. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Lol, need to link a pic of how much I feed from earlier in the thread? :D

I'll heed the advice. Just annoyed right now. Really want to get this tank in order so I can order some fishes like I originally intended! I don't want to be stressing them by tweaking things too much.

#70 toads74, Aug 14, 2017 at 7:46 PM
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 7:53 PM