This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

To slope or not...

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by DanielSev, Nov 27, 2011.

1. DanielSev

DanielSev Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    3:39 AM
    Hi,

My tank arrived a week ago and I am finally getting all the equipment and elements to start my first planted tank ! Tank size is 31 x 16 x 20 (aprox as it has a canopy). With a depth of just 16 inches I'm debating if it is better to slope the substrate or keep it approximately to the same level across the tank. Refraction comes into play here, and the optical effect is that of a somewhat 2D look when filled with water (I have tested it for leaks).

What do you think about sloping your substrate ?

Best regards,
    Daniel

2. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I think you should definitely slope because flat tanks are boring. But don't just think front to back, Think about how the Dutch do it and set different heights bordered by hardscape, and then grow rows of species that blend nicely at the top but keep physical separation near the bottom. (This is a huge help with the weedy but pretty species, like most Rotalas and Hemianthus). Think about mounds where you could play with mid-height or ground cover and create depth in the tank. Think about the spots plants will like and maybe an extended open area for a path of, say, Glosso or Crypt parva and stuff. It's cool seeing a Glosso patch halfway or a quarter up the tank! Think about the tanks with cool mound or triangle scapes -- you can cheat a nice bushy area with relatively short (and so easy to shape) stems, for example.

I think it's fun to play with the mounds that happen as I pour in substrate, then try it out. I tend to not mind the cloudiness of playing with slopes in a fishless young tank while figuring out what I like, though. I vote to experiment because there's plenty of ways to do it :)

#2 Wet, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2011
  3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    The answer is always slope.

hehe

Steeper the better if you can hardscape to keep it there.

But many get flat tank syndrome after a few months, so.........

4. DanielSev

DanielSev Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    OK, so I will try a gentle but not regular slope. As soon as I get the stones I will post a pic of my setup.

Best regards,
    Daniel

5. chopsticks

chopsticks Prolific Poster

Local Time: