This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

to all you experienced aquascapers out there....

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by i4yue, Aug 11, 2013.

1. i4yue

i4yue Member

Local Time:
    9:13 PM
    whats up guys, so this is my latest scape and i really like it but im having a little bit of a hard time picking out plants for behind the wood. here is a picture and ive also linked the video that i shot of the tank to give a better idea of the layout. thanks for the help in advance!! :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IigQxKVeawQ

View attachment 4638

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Scale of the wood in the 20 long is good.

If you added a few smaller branches mixed in coming out to mimic the roots from this piece, it would look even better.

Plants, I think smaller stuff would do well.
    So the small Myriophyllum mini would look great, easy to work with.
    A wide red plant, either R wallichii or mini Butterfly.
    Maybe some ferns mixing in the lower parts of the wood in the rear and front edges to hide the scraggly lower stems for the back ground plants.

On the edges of those plants, you might use Rotala "green", these sort of creep and can made into a hedge very easily.

Then whatever foreground plant etc.

A smattering of Ricciaradia would do no harm and might add some nice touches.

Note, the stems go behind the wood and sort of fan outward from the wood, do not place the stems evenly across the rear. You want a V shaped group behind the wood.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Scale of the wood in the 20 long is good.

If you added a few smaller branches mixed in coming out to mimic the roots from this piece, it would look even better.

Plants, I think smaller stuff would do well.
    So the small Myriophyllum mini would look great, easy to work with.
    A wide red plant, either R wallichii or mini Butterfly.
    Maybe some ferns mixing in the lower parts of the wood in the rear and front edges to hide the scraggly lower stems for the back ground plants.

On the edges of those plants, you might use Rotala "green", these sort of creep and can made into a hedge very easily.

Then whatever foreground plant etc.

A smattering of Ricciaradia would do no harm and might add some nice touches.

Note, the stems go behind the wood and sort of fan outward from the wood, do not place the stems evenly across the rear. You want a V shaped group behind the wood.

4. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I agree with Tom. I would also cover the back of the tank. It will hide your equipment and cords.

What is pearl weed? I've never heard of it. I would leave the foreground alone and focus out of that corner. Maybe some narrow leaf java fern would look nice.

You're off to a good start.

5. i4yue

i4yue Member

Local Time:
    http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w381/allentan8/Picture372_zpsbca65d14.jpg View attachment 4639 sorry, the youtube society calls pearlweed micranthemum micranthemoides. but anyways, i got a TONNNN of it today from a local guy today and here is the picture of it all carpeted, it was floating so it was already in a mat. so i just layed it on the substrate and put some small rocks on it to hold it til the roots shoot down. but Tom, where is the V like trim them to be like the two branch pieces? i dont know how to work this correctly... View attachment 4639

Attached Files:

#5 i4yue, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013
  6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    There are 3 branches point upwards, the two on the side of the middle one. You'll want the V shape to follow that sahpe/direction loosely.
    The other shorter, smaller branches on the wood, do not worry about.

Just that top 3 should have some nice stem plants around.
    Cut the tops of any loose pearl weed. And then keep it trimmed pretty low.
    It'll grow..........

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    There are 3 branches point upwards, the two on the side of the middle one. You'll want the V shape to follow that sahpe/direction loosely.
    The other shorter, smaller branches on the wood, do not worry about.

Just that top 3 should have some nice stem plants around.
    Cut the tops of any loose pearl weed. And then keep it trimmed pretty low.
    It'll grow..........

8. i4yue

i4yue Member

Local Time:
    Is myrio mini the same as myrio mattogrosene?