This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Tissue Cultured Vs Non Tissue Cultured Planted Tank

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Lou Ahlquist, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Lou Ahlquist

Lou Ahlquist New Member

Local Time:
    9:31 PM
    I'm new to the planted tank hobby but not unfamiliar with keeping aquariums. In my previous reef tank I successfully maintained many species of coral without introducing any unwanted parasites or other nuisance critters.

The ability to buy snail free tissue cultured/sterile plants gives one the ability to keep out unwanted pests and populate the aquarium with only desirable inhabitants.

My question is: Are there many places to get plants from tanks that are maintained under these conditions? Do I have to buy all the (expensive) tissue cultured plants online (for my startup) or are there many people that are starting to keep pest free tanks? I need to mention that my startup tank is 250 gallons which makes acquiring all tissue cultured/sterile plants online a sizeable investment. I haven't gone to any club meetings in my area yet so I don't have a good understanding about just what's out there and what the general consensus is amongst planted tank keepers.

I would like to take this opportunity to get off on the right track, though without breaking the bank.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:31 PM
    Most of us have bought, sold and traded amongst ourselves @ some point.
    Would like to bet that most of us have snails in our tanks.
    You've never stated that snails were the "unwanted pests" though?

I am great at melting down tissue culture plants! :D
    They seem to very rarely survive for me.

Being new @ the planted tank side of things I'd recommend.
    1. Buy only submerged plants, nothing that has to transition to submerged growth. ;)
    2. Don't buy something that looks bad that you think you can "turn around" to good growth.
    3. Clean everything you get at least with some of your tank water with a toothbrush before putting in your tank. ;)
    4. Cleaning also means removing bottom leaves that don't look so good.
    5. Some people quarantine plants just like some would phish. o_O
    6. A mild 20:1 H2O:H2O2 dip can be used if desired for a few minutes then rinse.
    7. Use some amount of fertilizer even in a low tech tank.

8. Remember that there will be some plants you won't be able to grow.
    This could be for many different reasons, everything will not like the soup you serve! :D

Snails will self regulate their population based on the amount of debris, dead plant matter, and overfeeding you provide.
    Hydra and snails I have just embraced and never tried to eradicate them.
    Bug larvae I will not tolerate, this is usually only a problem if you collect plants locally.
    There are also "pest" plants you will want to avoid.