This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Tissue Cultured Plants Turning To Mush

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Dpstriper, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Dpstriper

Dpstriper New Member

Local Time:
    8:54 AM
    First post so bear with me and thanks for any input.

tank 9.2 gall with 8 lbs controsoil (extra fine) and maple rock.
    28 watt at 5 hours a day
    no c02
    aquaclear 20 on low flow
    Plants include rotala indica, java fern, dwarf hair grass mini, s repens, ar mini, ar cardinalis, hygrophila compactsl and hygro pin.

20ppm nitrates, no nitrite, no ammonia, ph 6.6, 1dKH

Some harlequin raspbora, some tetras, some pygmy Corys, some amano shrimp

Tank is 5 weeks old and I'm finally adding 14 drops of flourish once a week.

Most tissue cultured plants die and their roots turn to mush. What could this be due to? Only 1 week into using flourish. Any advanced tips for tissue cultured plants?

2. cl3537

cl3537 New Member

Local Time:
    You have soft acidic water do you know why?
    Melting is often from Ammonia burn in uncycled aquariums but also from incompatible water to the plants you are trying to grow.
    How long ago did you add the plants?

Those plants could benefit from KH (likely GH too) booster, ferts, and CO2 injection.

Are you using API liquid kit or test strips?

Dpstriper likes this.
  3. Dpstriper

Dpstriper New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for your reply, I use my tap water

Testing with api liquid test and getting no ammonia.

I have tried alkaline buffer but it raised my ph .2 and didnt have much of an affect on my kh. I plan on testing again. I would prefer just for my plants and fish to acclimate to my tap water.

I added the ar minis when I first created the tank and they melted badly. I also added them again 2 weeks ago and they are melting too. It starts with small spots that turns into transparent leaves. This happens on the older and bigger leaves but the new smaller leaves seem to be ok.

Again my tank is 9.2 g so I'm adding 16 drops, .8 ml, of flourish once a week. Is that enough? I'm going to try adding some seachem potassium too.

I'm not ready for co2 yet

I'm also increased my lighting to 6.5 hours a day. Should I go up to 8 hours this early in the life of the tank, its 6 weeks old now

4. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I almost lost all my tissue cultured plants to burn/melt. https://barrreport.com/threads/eye-of-the-shrimptigers-20g.14042/page-4#post-145409 I see your getting zero ammonia nitrite, but I would do some 90% water changes, it’s the only thing that helped my plants. You could add a little potassium (K2SO4). Perhaps the soil is releasing ammonia at the root level, but by the time it makes it into the water column the filter has already converted it? I caught mine too late and lost myriophyllum, but I managed to save the rest.

Dpstriper likes this.
  5. Dpstriper

Dpstriper New Member

Local Time:
    Kyalgae, great thread! Better read than any Grisham novel.

i'm finally seeing some improvement this past week. I still lost all of my AR minis but the dwarf hair grass ecicularis is finally staying strong and even putting off some runners. I am now regularly dosing flourish comprehensive and added flourish potassium over the weekend; we'll see how this week progresses. Also, speaking with someone at my LFS they said to swap the charcoal in my aquaclear 20 for purigen as it wont remove the ferts (or at least significantly less from what i read on the internet). i'm hoping that helps as well.

Also upped my light to 7 hours per day

I think I finally hit a stable state with this tank but will wait another month before trying to AR minis again. i'll keep everyone updated.

This pic is from a few days after the AR minis went in. They are completely gone now

20190304_210457_resized.jpg

Kyalgae likes this.