This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Tissue Culture Plants

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Wendy1B, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Wendy1B

Wendy1B Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:49 PM
    How long can tissue culture plants be kept in their containers? I want to buy a few each from 3 different online vendors, but coordinating arrival dates seems to be impossible, and I'd like to have all of them on hand on my planting day.

2. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Depends on its existing condition. I have had some which I had for 2 weeks and some which started going south within a week. Both were tropica. I think ones that don't last long are ones that have already spent some time on the shelf or have had people open lids at stores etc.

3. Wendy1B

Wendy1B Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thank you!

4. jlau28

jlau28 New Member

Local Time:
    1:49 PM
    I got some cultures from AFA, they told me to just keep it in a cool place until i'm ready. Ended up taking 5 days before I even messed with it and just then saw the culture start to yellow slightly.

5. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Tissue culture plants are very tiny little plants when you buy them, so planting them is not at all like planting water grown plants. I bought a couple of packages of them and found that I was not able to plant them in a water filled tank. I just tossed them. I can see using them in dry started tanks, but not in established planted tanks.

DutchMuch likes this.
  6. slipfinger

slipfinger Article Editor

Local Time:
    4:49 PM
    I've had good success with tissue culture plants in my water filled tank. I planted Pogo erectus, Proserpinaca palustris and Hygrophila araguiaia about 3 weeks ago and all are doing great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I have never received a TC successfully, they have all arrived dead :p sadly.

8. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor

Local Time:
    I love TC and is my go-to. I have used a lot of TC plants and always had success. You should not buy and because they don't last long on shelfs. Only ones that last are moss.
    I bought a peacock moss 3 months ago and I still haven't used it and it's still not dead.

9. jlau28

jlau28 New Member

Local Time:
    1:49 PM
    I'm feeling pretty lucky to be right by AFA just about now, always able to go in and pick out fresh ones

DutchMuch likes this.