Tiny specks leaping across water surface

Trivr

Prolific Poster
Mar 23, 2008
I can't believe I'm seeing this...I'm sure it can't be healthy. I have a large piece of driftwood which comes to the surface of the water with java moss across the top third. Tonight as I was topping off water and adjusting it lower into the water, I noticed tiny little tan colored specks leaping across the water surface. It's like they were living in the moss at the surface and I had disturbed them. I have never seen this before and have no idea what it is.

Does anyone have any idea? What are they and how do I kill them?

Thanks.

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Is this a fishless tank? Anytime I've gone fishless, I end up with weird little critters cruising around. Put a small fish or two in there, and they will probably be gone in no time. I doubt the critters will do any damage. I personally have no idea what they are.

rusticitas

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2006
Pennsylvania
I have occasionally seen what you describe as well. I just figured they were some kind of little mite, nit, gnat or similar. It never seemed to get bad. And come to think of it, I usually only saw it on tanks with little water movement on the surface and no fish in it...

Trivr

Prolific Poster
Mar 23, 2008
Thanks guys!

I checked tonight and still saw a few but not nearly as many as yesterday. Maybe the fish are eating them? Yeah Ted, got 13 fish in there. I've always had plants floating at the surface, but that's the first time I actually had some continue above the water line and I think that soggy environment was the problem. I have lowered the wood so now all the moss is below/at the surface, hope that takes care of it! My fish probably wouldn't appreciate dosing a pest killer!

Wish I knew what they are called...

Thanks