Tiny bubbles

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Hi,

In the last few day I noticed a lot of tiny bubbles on the surface of the water and inside the tank. It almost looks like a bottle of alka seltzer (mist). Do you guys know what may cause this microbubbles ?

Last edited by a moderator:

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Stop the filters and pumps

I stopped everything and......... no more microbubbles aquarium. :confused: Yep, the filters and the air pump are causing it but, why now.......I never had it before and I did not clean any filter in the last 3 weeks. Are my goldies safe around these microbubbles ?

Edit:

Whoops, it's the darn air pump.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Crazy-Make-Me's

Hi,

I am quite sure your goldfish are safe. We use sodium percarbonate (think dry H2O2) to clean our ponds and I would say they almost enjoy the bubbles. :rolleyes:

As far as the source of micro-bubbles, this can drive you to madness. The most likely source is a faulty gasket/seal, and then come pinholes, pockets of air trapped from the last cleaning to the most serious, some decomposing crap (critter :eek:) stuck in a filter somewhere. :(

Anyway, you need to find it, though probably innocuous, it can be the warning of a serious failure. :gw

Well have fun, remember this is a hobby, not, well… Golf. :eek:

Biollante

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Biollante;55010 said:
Hi,

I am quite sure your goldfish are safe. We use sodium percarbonate (think dry H2O2) to clean our ponds and I would say they almost enjoy the bubbles. :rolleyes:

As far as the source of micro-bubbles, this can drive you to madness. The most likely source is a faulty gasket/seal, and then come pinholes, pockets of air trapped from the last cleaning to the most serious, some decomposing crap (critter :eek:) stuck in a filter somewhere. :(

Anyway, you need to find it, though probably innocuous, it can be the warning of a serious failure. :gw

Well have fun, remember this is a hobby, not, well… Golf. :eek:

Biollante

Golf ?:) No, no golf for me Bio. Well, the air stones is causing the "alka seltzer" water. I think the filters are OK.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
"Doin' What Comes Natur'lly" Whoa-up.. An Irving Berlin Moment…

Hi,

No sweat then, the air stone is doing what air stones do. :cool:

If the bubbles are noticeably finer then the holes are plugging up and replacement time is near at hand.:eek:

Biollante

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Biollante;55015 said:
Hi,

No sweat then, the air stone is doing what air stones do. :cool:

If the bubbles are noticeably finer then the holes are plugging up and replacement time is near at hand.:eek:

Biollante

They are. Time for replacement. Thanks Bio.