This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Tiny Beginnings- Making A Meal From The Scraps

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Matthew Begin, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Matthew Begin

Matthew Begin New Member

Local Time:
    6:12 PM
    I'm back into this hobby after a half - decade. I sold or gave away practically everything. All i have now is a candle "hurricane", some household items, and a gla CO2 regulator that I just couldn't bring myself to give away.
    My daughter wanted to use this hurricane for a Betta but I wouldn't let her as it's too small. I've been staring at it for a year now, imagining a small Hardscape with a green carpet and something growing out of the top, above the surface.

The hurricane is 2.5 gallons. Of course, I've already purchased a small bag of Aqua soil, Amazonia. My light will be a desk style clip lamp with a 60 watt LED bulb (7w/840 lumen).

My early plan is a carpet of Monte Carlo, s. Repens, and maybe something to add a small amount of red (rotalla r.).

I'll happily accept suggestions, criticism and encouragement. ( especially recommendations for an easy, red plant:))

1519233475712562134973.jpg

Jason King likes this.
  2. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Welcome back! Small hardscape and the plants you mentioned. Lots of stems will be nice because they will grow out of the water, flower and seed. Start the carpet then add the rest of the hardscape when the carpet is full. You can trade off the carpet pieces for stems at your local club.

Matthew Begin likes this.
  3. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    3:12 AM
    That is a good beginning. Do the carpet and maybe a simple group of stems in the center. If you really want red go with Althernathera reineckii or Persicaria sp. Sao Paulo. Both are red have vertical growth and easily grow out of water. My choice would however be a single stem of H. corymbosa trimmed to look like a miniature tree when out of water. It also produces more luxuriant foliage and bigger purple flowers.

4. Matthew Begin

Matthew Begin New Member

Local Time:
    Great suggestions! Thank you much!

Tags: