Time in - Time out

Micah D

Junior Poster
Sep 29, 2013
So I'm a little discouraged, I got so exited starting my planted tank back in 2013 after leaving the Saltwater reef hobby I converted my tank to a freshwater planted. I really was attracted to dutch style. Well that was my goal anyways. I had bought a plant package and started all in. I put a lot of time into it the first year and felt I had some success. After moving to a different town I had to tear down tank and restart. At that time I slowly started neglecting everything. Eventually no more co-2, water changes, no ferts. Nothing. ... So I guess it pretty obvious that what you put in your tank, Is what you will get out. I recently have been thinking about tearing it down and quitting or giving it all I got. What do you guys think?? I guess it boils down to how much time I want to invest.

PhilipS

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 10, 2014
GMT -700
Keep it. Plant only slow less-demanding growers as Solcielo noted. Moss on wood, Marsilea as the carpet. Osmocote tabs now and then will provide the ferts. Refill the CO2, check for leaks, and it should last many months.

Cleaning the glass could Think of cleaning the tank glass as that one window in the house that everyone done with a magnet cleaner. Water the house plants with aquarium water, just not the carnivorous ones. You'll find you will need to add water then. Rather than a 50% water change every week, try 20% or 10% depending on your tanks needs.

Kathy Yata

Junior Poster
Mar 15, 2015
My tank went through much the same problem last year. Hornwort took over the top, Java fern and Bolbitis lost fronds and the rhizomes fragmented. First I removed about half the hornwort and a lot of dead java fern. Then I did very small water changes often as the GH/KH must have disappeared as the tank had just had topoffs for 6 months or so. My instinct was right, my oldest fish was bothered by even tiny water changes.

I like the vals a lot and would definitely work on plopping a big bit of wood and/or arrangement of stones in the tank for focus with easy plants like Anubias/ferns between and just clean up the glass, make tiny water changes for several weeks to get water in better shape, maintain the filter and modify lighting/fertz to suit you. Except for the green glass the tank looks clean but lacks a focal point.

Micah D

Junior Poster
Sep 29, 2013
Thank you everyone for all your input and inspiration. It's great to have so many options presented to me. My heart is still leaning toward a classic dutch style. But I'm probably not ready for the maintenance it requires. I'm not really into the natural jungle look that these Vals have giving me. They have become the result of doing absolutely nothing. But I guess I will work with what I have until I decide to tear it down and re-plant.

mredman

Junior Poster
Nov 25, 2015
If your heart is not in it, I would take a break. Although aquarium technology has exploded in recent years, it still takes a lot of time to maintain tanks for both fish and plants. If I were in your shoes, I would take a break until you get the itch again. It will likely happen.

Mike

PhilipS

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 10, 2014
GMT -700
Put the plants you like into a tub. Keep them or sell them Re-scape the tank. Choose plants you like. Go for a theme.