This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Time for a new light fixture ?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Henry Hatch, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Henry Hatch

Henry Hatch Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    6:43 AM
    I've recently developed some brown algae (diatoms) in an established 30 gallon tank. The bulbs are 2 t8 30 watt NO flourescents less than a year old in a fixture 8-10 yrs old.

I took some PAR readings which varied from 35 to 54 at the substrate with the lowest readings near the end of the bulbs. I don't have readings for when the bulbs were new since I just got the meter recently .

The fixture is old but has not had continuous use. I have also noticed slower growth. I did not have this problem before. Same bulbs same fixture. Is it time to replace the fixture or the bulbs ?

Henry

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    That is low light intensity. Do you want a non-CO2, low light tank? I think new bulbs would give quite a bit more intensity, and as I recall, T8 bulbs lose a lot of their intensity before a year of use. If you haven't already done so, you could paint all of the area in the light fixture, around the bulbs, with ultra white paint, and possibly get some more light.

3. Henry Hatch

Local Time:

Actually I do run co2 and recently went from 2/3 EI dosing to full EI dosing. I'm thinking of running t5 HO on the tank. I have a 20 gallon H with T5 lighting which has been doing pretty well with excel. I guess NO flourescents degrade much more quickly than most HO bulbs. I think in the long run T5's will be cheaper.

4. Henry Hatch

Local Time:
    I just put in 2 new bulbs. The PAR readings went up significantly. I checked back in my records and found that my t8 NO bulbs were about 10 months old. I was surprised at the amount of fall off in intensity over less than 12 months. This confirms the value of the PAR meter and the relatively short useful life of NO flouresents. After these bulbs die I will replace with a t5 fixture.

Henry