This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Tiger lotus and rhizome plants

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Sourpuss, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Sourpuss

Sourpuss Member

Local Time:
    11:38 AM
    I read on the internet (so it has to be true) that rhizome plants too close to tiger lotus will waste away. I was planning on java fern and anubias close to my lotus. Is there any truth to this?

2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:38 PM
    I have had tiger lotus surrounded by crypts with no issues.

Never heard of this one before.

3. Sourpuss

Sourpuss Member

Local Time:
    Right? I've never heard of this either. Glad crypts work. The article said it wasn't rooted plants that were affected by it but the types of plants that feed from the water column like anubias.

4. Sourpuss

Sourpuss Member

Local Time:
    The name of the site is pet helpful and the name of the article is " How to plant tiger lotus". The section I am referring to is at the bottom of the article. Stupid kindle won't let me post the link for some reason.

5. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    6:38 PM
    The article is here : https://pethelpful.com/fish-aquariums/red-tiger-lotus-in-an-aquarium
    The paragraph referenced:
    "A few weeks later though, almost all the moss was gone. Moss more than 6 inches away from the plant continued to thrive. From this I surmise that if a plant gains most of its nutrients directly from the water, it should not be place near a red tiger lotus. Keep mosses, anubias species, ferns, and anything that doesn't grow roots under the substrate away from lotuses"

So the author suggests that the plant uses all the nutrients in one zone and thus other plants begin to suffer. I guess this may happen if the nutrients are low to begin with and no/very low water circulation is present. Maybe shadowing was also an issue. Speaking from personal experience I did not have this problem in aquariums with decent flow and somewhat good nutrient levels.

Also from the article, some sentences of dubious accuracy:
    "One plant will turn 50 gallons hard water soft in a few weeks"
    Nope, 62.5g definitely remained hard with GH and KH over 10 even in months of being away for uni.

"The first problem is that the root systems can grow to be enormous, and if they do, they will strangle all rooting plants"

Yes the root system is big, but it seemed to stay at the surface. But no strangling... the aquarium was full of Echinodorus, Saggitaria and Cryptocoryne.

It seems to me the author had problems providing decent levels of nutrients for all the plants to thrive simultaneously and Nymphaea zenkeri was the one to thrive in his setup.

6. Sourpuss

Sourpuss Member

Local Time:
    Thank you for the insight. Kinda what I thought. I have not had them in over 10 years. When I did have them it wasn't for very long. Had them in sand under cheap marineland leds. Fish poop only. I can't remember any plants dying. Then again I don't think I had any rhizome plants in there.

7. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:38 PM
    I have a large lotus bulb, about ping pong ball sized.
    When I run out of them from selling I move the bulb back into the light after tooth brush scrub.
    In a week or 3 I have a new plant with 5-6 leaves I can detach from the bulb.
    I have planted these near stems and rhizome type plants without any strange happenings.

Tags: