This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Threads loving my waterchanges :(

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by oveb, Nov 7, 2005.

1. freemann

freemann Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:17 PM
    Re: Threads loving my waterchanges :(

Myself I would check one of the following:
    To much organic load (from angels or very dirty substrate).
    Faulty misleading tests.
    Do your plants look pale (some look like it in the photos), do they look like like they "try" to grow (i.e curled new leaves on your stellatas)?
    Consider adding iron (dtpa iron is good for me) additionally from the micros, Flourish on each own will do nothing for me I need to add tons of additional iron with similar amounts of light to keep my plants healty (it took ages to "accept" the huge amonts I had to add) I really think MH lights are really killer lights (I have 3x150w MH over 100 gal).
    Mg luck also could have to do with it.
    Personaly I would not put breeding angels in a planted tank that is in this stage, when I have to mess with it all the time.

My 2 cents :)
    Freemann

2. oveb

oveb Junior Poster

Local Time:

I've started to vacuum my gravel, it takes time and it almost impossible under the HC but I'm getting there.

I don't test any longer...

They are quite pale, I only use Flourish right now (5ml=0,01ppm). The stellata has stunted, but it ususally takes a while until it starts to grow after a replant. I can try with extra FE for a while if you think that's a good idea.

I've told them not to breed but they simply won't stop :)

What do you think about light, do I have better odds with less ??

I can choose half=0,33W/liter or all=0,66W/liter.

Many thanks freemann !

3. freemann

freemann Junior Poster

Local Time:

5ml daily is too little if you depend on it for iron. You should add this maybe even a bit more some days 1/2 a cupful additionally. Try finding and adding DTPA iron as well maybe (I add 1/8 of a teaspoon) every second day on my 6% iron content dtpa iron until at least all plants get really green then maybe you can slow down a bit but only a bit (good iron indicators for me are cardamile and mayaca if this turn whitish I am sure by now it is iron. I have tested repeatedly with my colorimeter on the iron and I know the amount that 5 ml flourish ads is nothing. Iron reads the most 0.09-0.1 ppm down to 0.02 ppm.). Believe me lack of iron can make the plants look really really unhealthy.

Well there you are this is one good indicator it seems stellata needs a lot of NO3 but also lots of iron (always with that much light). Stellatas don't take usually a while to grow after a replant from cuttings in the tank, this can happen maybe for shipped stressed specimens, usually in a well fertilised tank cuttings will just keep on growing (maybe just a bit slower initially) after a replant, if not then something is wrong with the water column nutrients and the plants while rootless have no chance to leech some of the missing nutrients from the substrate.)

Well it all depends in your persistence, high light tanks are more wild than a lower light tank and plants can stunt much faster with this much light but they can also grow hell of lot of difficult plants and all in big volume. If you intent to be persevering I am sure you will be rewarded at the end. But surely less lights can grow plants as well, in your case thou one MH light would be too directed in one area of the tank and it won't do, so in your case I think you are stuck with the 2 lights, not a bad thing.

On a last note keep on cleaning and removing as much of the algae as you can, and remove as much as possible substrate surface dirt as well.

On the water changes you could try doing big WC 50% and then adding all the nutrients every 3-4 days for a couple of weeks while cleaning before the WC to flush all the dirt out.

My 2 cents :)
    Freemann

4. oveb

oveb Junior Poster

Local Time:

Thanks a lot "freemann" !!

5. oveb

oveb Junior Poster

Local Time:

Update:

Slooowly it starts to look better...

I miscalculated the need for co2 (needed 6 bps instead of 4) in the middle of the week and my threads really freaked out of happiness.

But now with a couple more bubbles/sec when the gauge is open it looks real nice. Total mass of plants is increasing and thats what makes it happen I guess !

With this ph (~6.15) dosing micro does not seem to grow threads.

6. detlef

detlef Member

Local Time:

I'd like to throw in that stellatas are extremely sensitive to fluctuations of water param's of various kinds. As to keep ES growing continously try to manage stable conditions (CO2/NO3/PO4/trace/iron) and it will not stunt any more. Stable param's are the key here. I confirm freemann's observation. Healthy Stellatas usually don't mind replanting. They even have no severe growth problems with the roots completely cut away. The plant only stops for a few days before it goes ahead again.

Regards,
    Detlef

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:

They are weeds if you add good CO2/NO3/PO4, traces..........

So you can use them as indicators.............

Steve grew some of the biggest ES at 2.1 w/gal at 24" depth I've seen.

He added more light to another tank and was able to do the same, but I think light is less an issue, just makes things grow faster, not better.

Regards,
    Tom Barr