This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Thread algae and ferts

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by jakla, May 20, 2005.

1. jakla

jakla Junior Poster

Tank: 65 gallons
    4x30 w
    NO3: 25 ppm
    PO4: 5 ppm
    Co2: 38 ppm
    Kh: 16
    pH: 7.1

I change app. 15 gallons each week.
    Plants:
    • Limnophila Sessiflora
    • Cryptocoryne Willisii
    • Anubias Barteri var. Angustifolia
    • Hydrocotyle Leucocephala
    • Echinodorus palaefolius var. latifolius
    • Vallisneria americana (natans)
    • Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis
    • Echinodorus Bleheri
    • Vesiculara Dubyana
    • Anubias Nana
    • Echinodorus Uruguayensis
    • Microsorium pteropus
    • Hygrophila Siamensis
    I have quite a lot of thread algae and beard algae. Since I started increasing the CO2 from 10 ppm it has helped, but it needs a thorough trimming once a week.
    I have even seen traces of BGA, which I find difficult to believe, given the NO3, but it's there...

Any ideas?

2. Simpte

Simpte Prolific Poster

Re: Thread algae and ferts

When you find out let me know. I have the same problem, though I believe mine is Co2 related.

3. fishface

fishface Guest

i've run my co2 anywhere from 30ppm all the way up to over 100ppm and have had thread algae issues for over a year. nothing i do to change things has made a difference...so alas, i just live with it and pull as much out as i can everyday. it's not a terrible amount...just enough to p!ss me off! :mad: i wish i knew the answer. :confused:

4. awrieger

awrieger Junior Poster

I found an interesting thing happened last week.

I was about to set up a new tank and tear down the old one, so I stopped bothering dosing ferts for the last week or two while I was preparing the new tank etc - and the thread algae started dying back. Not completely as there were still small patches of it in my Moss and Hairgrass. But quite the opposite to the rampant growth I was experiencing with full ferts and CO2 (30+ppm).

My amateur conclusion is that there is an element in the ferts it needs to thrive. Iron? Magnesium? Boron? Something in full supply while I was dosing, but became depleted when I stopped dosing, so it couldn't be NO3 or PO4 (still coming from the fish). And neither did it have anything to do with the NO3:pO4 ratio as I had it set pretty much perfect so no other algae grew at all, yet this stuff was still growing rampant.

I was also dosing Excel daily. Are all of you using Excel, or not? If not, that discounts organic carbon as a possible cause too.