This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Third Time's the Charm

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Lovebug, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Lovebug

Lovebug New Member

I'm moving into a new house in the next 2 weeks, and I have planned a high-tech planted nature tank- 40g breeder. This will be my third experience with planted aquariums. The first time, in the mid-2000's, was a relatively successful low-tech beginner's foray into the hobby. Cut my teeth on java fern, anubias, and a few sword plants. CO2 was too scary to even think about trying, lighting was watt/gal, and ferts were haphazard. My second planted tank was a couple years ago in my work office, and was admittedly half-assed. I decided within a few months of that pathetic tank that if I'm going do this hobby, then I need to do it correctly. As my dad always said, "Herb, if you're gonna do a job, do it right the first time!" Good advice Dad.

So third time's the charm, right?

[​IMG]

That's the tank in my shed ready to roll. I've spent the last two years saving and studying. Doing it right this time! Would have started a year ago, but we decided to build a house, and the day is arriving soon! I've done most of my shopping, except for soil and plants and fish. Here's the plan:

Tank: Marineland 40 gallon breeder- I wish I could do a rimless, but I needed the money elsewhere as I'm pretty much starting from scratch.
    Filter: Eheim 2217
    Circulation: Hydor Koralia Nano 240gph
    Lighting: Ecotech Radion 4gen xr15FW- just doing one for now as the new model boasts 36" spread. We'll see.
    CO2: pressurized with GLA Pro regulator, GLA atomic inline diffuser, 5 gallon tank
    Soil: ADA Amazonia
    Ferts: dry from GLA- gonna do EI

Might do RO water- our well water looks like it has good hardness (4+) and PH (7.0), but that's based on preliminary township test. I'll test it myself and see. Nitrates and phosphates may be bad due to our yard being a cornfield 12 months ago. If so, will buy a BRS RO/DI system.

Hardscape: Nice big piece of Malaysian driftwood with some manzanita branches.

Plants!
    Going on the easy side to start off. I don't want my Third Time to be a failure.

Foreground
    Eleocharis parvula mini
    Staurogyne repens

Midground
    Blyxa japonica

Background
    Bacopa monnieri
    Ludwigia repens "red"

Attached to wood
    Java fern
    Anubias nana
    Maybe some moss. We'll see.

Stock
    20-30 neons
    Pair of cockatoo apistos
    10+ Amano shrimp
    Assassin snails as needed

I'll update as things progress! Should be up and planted within 2 weeks.

Herb

2. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Ha! my dad always told me:
    *nothing because I dont know my dad* HAHA!
    BUT
    my stepdad always tells me "Nate, if your going to do something right, dont do it at all."

Ah man... I am surrounded by so much positivity...
    lol good luck on your tank!

geektom, Mike k and Lovebug like this.
  3. Lovebug

Lovebug New Member

Thanks so much DutchMuch! And yeah, I usually heard my dad tell me to do it right the first time immediately after telling me that I in fact didn't do it right the first time lol.

Here's my planned layout. The darker brown is Malaysian driftwood. The lighter brown lines are manzanita. I'm not much of an artist :p It's not to scale, so I'll make sure to follow Rule of Thirds.

[​IMG]

1- Eleocharis parvula mini (DHG)
    2- Staurogyne repens
    3- Blyxa japonica
    4- Bacopa monnieri (Moneywort)
    5- Ludwigia repens
    6- Java fern- big clump of it on driftwood
    7- Anubias nana

Any suggestions are appreciated and welcome!

Dale Hazey, Jason and DutchMuch like this.
  4. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber

If your well water is *consistently* that soft, go with it, it's a good thing. Let the corn farmers provide you with EI juice! Why filter out nitrate & phosphate, only to re-add it, unless there are other problematic elements in your water?

Dale Hazey, Lovebug and DutchMuch like this.
  5. Lovebug

Lovebug New Member

Yeah I'm looking forward to testing and tinkering. Nitrates were 2ppm and TDS 125. Iron is 1.0 ppm. I assume its ferric iron (Fe3) since it's already staining the toilets red. Is this usable by plants, or do they like ferrous (Fe2)?

#5 Lovebug, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  6. Omar EAZi

Omar EAZi Member

good luck with your tank, can't wait to see it in action

Lovebug likes this.
  7. Lovebug

Lovebug New Member

Well, moving in took longer than I thought, but we're in! And I've started setting things up. Here's most of the stuff I bought...

[​IMG]

Especially excited about the Ecotech Radion lights. I was unsure if one would be enough in a 3-foot wide tank, but the new lenses give a very wide spread. I think one will work just fine.

Here's my hardscape without soil.

[​IMG]

A big bunch of java fern will go where the end of the manzanita rests on the malaysian driftwood, so it won't look so unnatural. I'm very open to any suggestions. Waiting on soil, which will be ADA Amazonia- on the way from Aqua Forest Aquariums. They had the best price that I could find. Should be in the next few days.

I have my RO water brewing now...

[​IMG]

Got a new system from BRS. RO-only. Not doing DI at this time since my TDS isn't too bad on this well.

The only thing left to buy is plants, which I'm picking up from Rachel O'Leary, who is local here in southern PA. She has everything I want but the Blyxa and the Bacopa monnieri.

All comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Dale Hazey and DutchMuch like this.
  8. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

nice! I missed this journal!
    Glad your back! now I have something else to look at every morning... lol. Tank looks really good, did you get your Co2 system from GLA? if so, so did I and just saying, worth every penny.
    I think your scape will look very good, I don't have any suggestions to you as of right now :D, but I have a question, do you have a carpeting plant, and if so what kind is it? And what type of fish do you have in mind? :eek:
    Ill send 1 handful to you (roughly 10 stems), for 5$ 8$ shipping if you want.

Lovebug likes this.
  9. Lovebug

Lovebug New Member

Yes the regulator and the diffuser are both GLA. They've been super awesome to communicate with. The regulator is a Pro. Working on plumbing everything today.

My main carpeting plant will be DHG. But I'll have a patch of S. repens on the left hand side of the tank.

Neons. I may do a pair or trio of cockatoo apistos eventually, but that will be down the road after the tank is established. For clean up crew, I'll try amano shrimp, which I've never done before. A little worried about jumpers, but I'm up for learning how to care for them.

YES on the bacopa! I'll PM you.

Mike k and DutchMuch like this.
  10. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

phh, amano shrimp are unkillable as long as you do, DRIP acclimation. if you do that, and your tank is cycled, your fine. They will only jump, if your stirring the tank up like crazy, if your arm is spasm ing in the tank, or if you have bad water quality.

Lovebug likes this.
  11. Dale Hazey

Dale Hazey Junior Poster

I've had only 3 amano jump. One when I had a bunch of stem plants floating for a long time. One I found on the floor alive and put her back she survived. The other day I found one on the floor dead, there was an ammonia spike .5ppm. Overall I have killed more tetras and mollies than amanos and otocinclus. Mostly from ich, but I had a gourami and another Molly who would make mollies jump.

I would drip acclimate everything, especially if your fish are from Petco/PetSmart. Their water is going to have a much higher TDS, conductivity, osmotic pressure etc than yours. PH don't mean shit, no such thing as PH shock. Fish farms and natural waterways go through pH swings throughout the day.

Lookin forward to this journal
    Remember lots of pics plz and thx

#11 Dale Hazey, Aug 12, 2017 at 9:28 PM
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 11:19 PM
    DutchMuch and Lovebug like this.
  12. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Dale I read this, and idk how to explain it, but like I just got 50x happier.
    Wanna know why?

no?

ok then.

Ok ill tell you.
    Origionally in my sixty five, people told me, NO!!!!!, you cannot get discus because you are going to have a Dutch scape, and the PH is high af (like 7.6 or something, idfk).
    So I never did get Discus. Idk. Maybe I can.....
    But aquaticarts has already supplied me with the fish so no turning back now. R.i.p my life.

13. Lovebug

Lovebug New Member

You smell that? Do you smell that?...

[​IMG]

Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of Aquasoil in the morning.

Only one thing remains: plants. And they're on their way. Should be planting by the weekend.

DutchMuch and Dale Hazey like this.
  14. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

I smell...
    Money.
    LOL
    Glad your shipment of Amazonia came in good! cant wait to see it in the tank....!