This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Things to bring along while searching for plants in Nature

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by pepetj, May 15, 2011.

1. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:14 AM
    What should I need to consider when going in-country to explore (and hopefully find) aquatic plants?

I'm an urban person. I won't venture too far away from any trail but I wouldn't like to get there and realize I should have brought something I didn't.

I was thinking of:
    • Most pertinent of my portable gadgets and test kits to measure parameters (help me choose here)
    • a 3-5 gal bucket
    • a few 1gal Ziplock bags
    • a roll of kitchen paper towel
    • a camera
    • scissors

Anything else? Help me learn from your experience.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

2. JJ..Bequiet

JJ..Bequiet Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    maybe a small hand shovel

3. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    There you go! didn't think of that.

Thanks

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Clothes,

You likely will get in trouble otherwise.

Good wet stuff, rain jacket etc, a good sized hook with a rope to toss to look for weeds. Bug spray. A few things to eat. Long sleeves/pants etc, to prevent cuts, bug bites etc.
    Water/Gatorade or similar, any extras for the car, a cell phone, a good map(not GPS), tell folks where you are going in general and when to expect you back.
    If alone and you fall and have a bone sticking out, or get bit by a snake, car breaks down...........you are pretty much screwed.

5. kazkaz

kazkaz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Salt! I always try to remember to bring salt whenever i go hiking at waterfalls and streams, because you sure as hell don't wanna get bitten by a leech without salt!
    Some leeches are extremely aggressive, and once even climbed all the way up my friend's pants and well, bit on his ballsack :D (extra warm!)

Tho it was worth it as we caught over 30 fishes, 20+ treefrog's tadpoles, and lotsa shrimp as well which are residing in my tank now.

Good luck, hunting!