They came and they are Gorgeous.

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
I just received the two red lizard whiptails, shipped Saturday. Just a bag of water in a box and two little fish. I think they spent a lot of that time traveled in air-conditioned environments. The KH of the water they were shipped in tested at 3dKH (same as what's in my tank). It's still early, but they look happy. Yea, I couldn't wait to add them to the tank, once everything looked stable. :)

Gbark

Guru Class Expert
Jun 15, 2009
Tug;52882 said:
I just received the two red lizard whiptails, shipped Saturday. Just a bag of water in a box and two little fish. I think they spent a lot of that time traveled in air-conditioned environments. The KH of the water they were shipped in tested at 3dKH (same as what's in my tank). It's still early, but they look happy. Yea, I couldn't wait to add them to the tank, once everything looked stable. :)

Are we going to get pictures?

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Soon. Actually, now while they are little, they look a little like damselfly naiads. But, the way they drift around in the water is fun to watch.

Gbark

Guru Class Expert
Jun 15, 2009
I was just reading up on them, haven't seen them over in the UK, are they wild or captive bred?

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Hi Gbark,
Captive bred. Not sure if there are any wild L-10a varieties. I'm still reading up on them too.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
They are fairly easy to bred, the fry might get eaten in a community tank though.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
This is what I was told by the seller, "As far as I know L-10a are a distinct wild-caught species fom SA. No one seems to know whether the red color is natural, but my guess is that it's a result of selective breeding like the super red Ancistrus." I also found this link by Sandor Tüllmann, http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=419

attachment.php

Right now they are more or less an inch long. I'll need to wait to see if the adults keep their markings and color.

DSCF0226.jpg

DSCF0230.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
It's still about 1" size? Then it can be male too.
I only know I've a male when it grows bigger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Hi nipat,
Yea, one is over an inch, the browner one is under. The camera isn't great but does have a macro feature. What I really want is a better editing package. :D

What color are your males/females when they grow out. I think I have the sexing all wrong based on color. I thought the female keeps her red color, but know I hear it might be the other way around. :confused:

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
Tug;52947 said:
Hi nipat,
Yea, one is over an inch, the browner one is under. The camera isn't great but does have a macro feature. What I really want is a better editing package. :D

What color are your males/females when they grow out. I think I have the sexing all wrong based on color. I thought the female keeps her red color, but know I hear it might be the other way around. :confused:

I've only one and it's male (telling from the mustache) about 4 inches now:)
The color is red. I hear that it's the female that will lose color, so confusing.
100328.jpg

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
Nothing special, just Hikari Sinking Wafers and Algae Wafers.
I added NLS Surface Feeder into the mix lately too. But I think NLS
has no color effect to it (and Corydoras) though. Maybe because I don't
feed them NLS exclusively.