This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

The Skimmer Q

Discussion in 'Marine Plants - Macroalgae' started by reiverix, Jan 26, 2007.

1. reiverix

reiverix Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

I know this is always a hot topic. Skimming a macroalgae tank.

Last night I thought it was time where I could turn off the skimmer for good. Growth is good, plant mass is good and all is well. My skimmer hasn't been collecting anything for weeks.

So I get home from work and the tank is looking a bit raggy. There's a fair amount of small particles in the water and also what appears to be microbubbles. The macros just don't seem to look like they've lost some of their vibrance.

What gives? I can't think why skimming would help this type of tank. Is it because the setup is still in the maturing stage?

2. PatrikS

PatrikS Prolific Poster

Maybe it's because you got so much algaebiomass that the watercirkulation alone cant bring enough CO2 from the air? Maybe increasing cirkulation could help if you turn off the skimmer.. Just my guess though.