The Origins of Eleocharis "Belem," "Japanese Hairgrass," and Eleocharis "sp. Mini"

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I've found it in several lakes in Marin County.

Belem is a different biotype.

I think whomever suggest it's parvula or straight obviously has never had it.

It strongly curves downward and really never makes it more than 3-4 cm tall

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
There were quite a few creeks and streams in SF back in the day. Many are diverted via piping now. There are still tons of springs that pop up all over the place. We have a diverted creek in our backyard. It has actually been piped. I'll have to keep an eye out for some and snap some pictures.

Solcielo lawrencia said:
Yes, E. acicularis is found in San Francisco. Specifically, the SF Botanical Garden has a lake with it growing submersed and it even has it's own sign indicating the species name.

Chris Noto

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Feb 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
And here's the pot of Tropica's tissue cultured E. 'Mini', via a dealer in Portugal:

Divided and planted in a ten gallon tank with high light and CO2.

View attachment 15092

Tropica Eleocharis Mini.JPG

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Nice! Thank you for the picture, and thanks to Tom for providing the original culture to Tropica. "Sp. Mini" is really one of my favorite low-maintenance foreground plants.

I have some of the original stuff that Aqua Forest Aquarium imported (5-6+ years ago) growing in my 60P. Got my starter clump from members of the San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society. It's harder to get in the US since Tropica doesn't sell here. That said, I think more hobbyists grow the plant now than in the past, so that is a good thing. My emersed tank was started from some stuff AFA imported last year (2014)., marketed as "Eleocharis Sp. Japan."

Chris Noto said:
And here's the pot of Tropica's tissue cultured E. 'Mini', via a dealer in Portugal:

Divided and planted in a ten gallon tank with high light and CO2.

Reactions: 2 people

Chris Noto

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Feb 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Last edited by a moderator:
E

emartny

What's the best way to plant this? Does it come in that fiberglass mesh that most plants come in? If so, whats the best way to take it out of that without damaging the plant? Thinking of getting some on aquarium plants dot com.