The noob guide to building your own regulator: part numbers, sources, and other tips!

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Nice builds! Great post body design for those of you who have either top or side access to the unit.

Flyinghellfish;120353 said:
Concoa "Praxair" "Linde" etc. 3123's

Testing this regulator out, she will be the last addition to the Co2 line.

Was thinking of leaving the manual on/off and just having it inline. I also never realized how small Concoa regulators were, or how big Mathesons were. Does anyone know how to take off the cap on the adjustment knob? It's glue on or something, I can take the Matheson cap off but not this.

Flyinghellfish

Prolific Poster
Dec 26, 2011
Thanks you Matt, unfortunately the manual on/off is broken. It either has a leak at the top part that screws down or the knob is not connected. The regulator itself passed both stage test.

3yZyeXWl.jpg

:(

Flyinghellfish

Prolific Poster
Dec 26, 2011
Someone hook me up with a Parker HR for this build? I really don't want to get a Swagelok S series and fiddle with the needle setting, not to mention their inferno tube fitting.

Here a 10 lb Aluminum Co2 cylinder, the Canadian style.

rt8DHyOl.jpg

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Here is another build I just finished.
After a few delays, finally was able to finish this 4 output build for a client. This is the first time I've done a four output, so the spacing turned out pretty good, IMO. The only thing I'll do differently in the future is use a B-2-HN instead of a B-2-HLN-1.50 in the secondary phase of the build. I was concerned that using a B-2-HN would create a clearance problem being that the Fabcos are a full 13/16" thick. When I lay everything out prior to building, it looked as though there would be less room. Now we know. Still, I'm happy the way this tuned out.

Flyinghellfish

Prolific Poster
Dec 26, 2011
Hey you guys ever seen these extra from Swagelok?

Bags, Pens, and Post it notes?

7tzTn3Ll.jpg

=======
6oF0NgBl.jpg

=======
And here she is. S series, a-la Verner handle.
1bWAiUAl.jpg

Critiques welcome, but only if you have a build or had one up. If not then... really....

nkC2iiw.gif

gus6464

Junior Poster
Dec 21, 2011
I just got myself a Victor 7-0155 dual stage from ebay. If I follow the 7 o'clock build with the JBJ I should be ok right? I would like to keep the price of build low so will be going with fabco needle but doing the burkert solenoid with buna seal from aquarium plants.

A

aquarist

Awesome write up! I am so glad I found this. Subscribing to be able to read it later.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Sorry for the late response. Sounds like you have a good game-plan. I can't tell you how important it is to go with a quality solenoid. 9/10 of the problems with these DIY units comes from crappy parts (solenoid) failing. Glad you're investing in a good solenoid. Yes, a 7 o'clock build will work with your VTS-style Victor (a 7-0155 is a VTS style regulator).
I wish I could steer you away from a JBJ-style bubble counter. They will leak sooner or later. A tube adapter or a hose barb would be a much more solid choice from a standpoint of dependability.

Good luck!

gus6464;127800 said:
I just got myself a Victor 7-0155 dual stage from ebay. If I follow the 7 o'clock build with the JBJ I should be ok right? I would like to keep the price of build low so will be going with fabco needle but doing the burkert solenoid with buna seal from aquarium plants.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
I've upgraded post #1 and Post #6, so if you guys see any typographical errors, please let me know. Also if you want to share some info with people, please feel free to post it here. I'm not brand bias as I've been accused of being by some morons. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyinghellfish

Prolific Poster
Dec 26, 2011
Hey Matt, where you get that chrome CGA? The one I got from JR welding is really scratched up and old looking. I been told you can't remove scratches on chrome, which sucks because I'm picky about that type of thing.

oldpunk

Guru Class Expert
Dec 1, 2009
Flyinghellfish;128584 said:
Hey Matt, where you get that chrome CGA? The one I got from JR welding is really scratched up and old looking. I been told you can't remove scratches on chrome, which sucks because I'm picky about that type of thing.

The one on the Hpt100? That's factory. You can order the victor nut and nipple from a few different places. I believe that there's a I link or part number somewhere in the beginning of the dual stage regulator thread. (One of LeftC's posts)

Flyinghellfish

Prolific Poster
Dec 26, 2011
How is it that JR welding's 320 stem is perfectly new and their CGA 320 nut looks like it came from a used rig. Don't tell me they just took......omg. :(

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Well that's a first. I would contact J&R Welding and ask them to send a new one out. It shouldn't be scratched. Worst case, you can send the nut out to be re-chromed. It's not expensive, but there is a couple week wait time. I had some JBJ Bubble Counters chromed back in the day. Look in LeftC's thread for the place.

Flyinghellfish;128584 said:

Yep, I order the regs in that configuration (with the CGA320) from the factory. They are also helium tested to insure no leaks and good seals. One less thing for me to worry about when building for someone else.

oldpunk;128588 said:
The one on the Hpt100? That's factory. You can order the victor nut and nipple from a few different places. I believe that there's a I link or part number somewhere in the beginning of the dual stage regulator thread. (One of LeftC's posts)

Flyinghellfish

Prolific Poster
Dec 26, 2011
I think Josh got an old CGA 320 nut too, or maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Anyways, not a huge problem, JR's CGA stem is well made, it comes with a filter too.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
All I can say is contact J&R. I've never received a "used" nut in all the times I've ordered the Smith chrome plated stems/nuts.

Flyinghellfish;128670 said:
I think Josh got an old CGA 320 nut too, or maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Anyways, not a huge problem, JR's CGA stem is well made, it comes with a filter too.

Flyinghellfish

Prolific Poster
Dec 26, 2011
Aww, that so nice of you to contact them on my behalf. Thank you, that such a sweet thing.

I'm not the only one, Josh got a used CGA 320 nut too, don't lie Josh, tell the truth. If JR welding didn't actually draw a picture of a fish on the box they sent me (joke request by me) I wouldn't of let it go so easily.

oldpunk

Guru Class Expert
Dec 1, 2009
I would not say used. The one got looked like it was in a bin with 50 other nuts. They used to come in a Smith bag like the nipple. Not so the last few orders. I dunno. ..

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
That's really kind of strange if you ask me. I'd contact them if you don't think the parts are up to standard. Just send them an email, explain to them why you aren't happy, and ask for a replacement or refund. In my experience, they've been great as far as customer service goes. No harm, not foul. Complaining about something here isn't going to get you a replacement nut. It also doesn't give J&R the opportunity to make things right with you.

Last edited by a moderator: