The noob guide to building your own regulator: part numbers, sources, and other tips!

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
2,500
1
36
69
Burlington, NC
Sugardaddy1979;94097 said:
I'm going to build off of a vts 402d. Are the brass parts need the same as those listed in the OP for the vts250? Thanks
Yes, they can be the same if you want to build it that way. (1/4" NPT, then down to 1/8" NPT) But, you could use all 1/4" NPT parts for your build and it wouldn't look awkward because the regulator is larger than a VTS253.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sugardaddy1979

Junior Poster
Feb 8, 2013
8
0
1
Left C;94098 said:
Yes, they can be the same if you want to build it that way. (1/4" NPT, then down to 1/8" NPT) But, you could use all 1/4" NPT parts for your build and it wouldn't look awkward because the regulator is larger than a VTS253.

Thanks. Only problem with going 1/4 NPT the whole way is that I would never figure out what parts to get then. I'm already strugling LOL. I'm not worried about it looking awkward. It will be under the stand and it'll just look like me.....
 

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
2,500
1
36
69
Burlington, NC
Sugardaddy1979;94102 said:
Thanks. Only problem with going 1/4 NPT the whole way is that I would never figure out what parts to get then. I'm already strugling LOL. I'm not worried about it looking awkward. It will be under the stand and it'll just look like me.....
Struggling ... Been there. Done that. I know what you mean. For many of us this is somewhat "uncharted territory."

I wasn't saying that using VTS253 1/4" -> 1/8" parts would make yours look awkward. I was says that using all 1/4" parts is another option. I built a VTS453 using all 1/4" parts and it looked fine.
 

oldpunk

Guru Class Expert
Dec 1, 2009
427
4
18
Left C;94108 said:
Struggling ... Been there. Done that. I know what you mean. For many of us this is somewhat "uncharted territory."

I'm doing a little struggling at the moment myself. If you're a newb, don't try building a reg w/ VCR connections.

SugarDaddy, You've got a reg that only needs a few fittings and is pretty easy to build. Don't over complicate it.
 

Sugardaddy1979

Junior Poster
Feb 8, 2013
8
0
1
You're right Oldpunk. I think I have analysis paralysis. I pulled the trigger on that ideal valve btw. Think I can find a knob pretty easy since it is just a 9/16 phenolic Knob with a 1/8” hole and set screw. Thanks for kicking me in the right direction.
 

hsverma

Junior Poster
Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
7
0
1
Wylie, TX
Hello Guys,

I got this Airgas dual stage regulator from a friend who is a welder. He got it from work because the company was scrapping it and he knew that I was looking for something "similar".

The regulator is this one: http://www.airgas.com/browse/productDetail.aspx?Category=403&product=Y12N145D

Question: Will this work for pressurized CO2? I searched the forums for model number but did not come across any threads mentioning this regulator. Thank you for your help.
 

Darkblade48

Guru Class Expert
Dec 16, 2009
147
0
16
I think it could be used.

There is no indication of what CGA nipple it has though, so you may have to replace it.
 

hsverma

Junior Poster
Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
7
0
1
Wylie, TX
Darkblade48;94631 said:
I think it could be used.

There is no indication of what CGA nipple it has though, so you may have to replace it.

Hi Anthony,

It seems to have a CGA-540 nut and nipple on it installed already. Do you happen to have a post body setup you can recommend for this? I am currently looking at these metering/needle valves. Which one do you recommend?

Swagelok SS-2MG 1/8" Tubing
Swagelok 1/4" SS-SS4-A-OH-SL
Swagelok SS-22RS4-A

I know I need a solenoid which I am thinking of getting from aquariumplants.com. Is that a good one?
 

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
2,319
4
38
California
Not Anthony, but I'd shoot for an Ideal Needle Valve with 1/8" NPT rather than tube fittings. This makes for a cleaner more refined build.
Also the Burkert solenoids listed on aquariumplants.com or freshwatersystems are about the best you can get anywhere. Make sure the Burkert you buy has a standard power cord. This makes for a cleaner headache-free build.

You can use the SGT500 90 degree build (in post# 1) as a guide towards building your regulator. You will need a CGA320 nut/nipple. To remove the nut/nipple, please check out my "how-to" guides listed on page 1 in this thread.

hsverma;94638 said:
Hi Anthony,

It seems to have a CGA-540 nut and nipple on it installed already. Do you happen to have a post body setup you can recommend for this? I am currently looking at these metering/needle valves. Which one do you recommend?

Swagelok SS-2MG 1/8" Tubing
Swagelok 1/4" SS-SS4-A-OH-SL
Swagelok SS-22RS4-A

I know I need a solenoid which I am thinking of getting from aquariumplants.com. Is that a good one?
 

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
2,319
4
38
California
Just to make sure these didn't get burried somewhere, here are the "How-to" articles I wrote:
Here are some of the earlier DIY threads I did. Relisting them just as a reference.

Here is an updated list of DIY links:

How to build a VTS253B-320:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7785-How-to-build-a-Victor-VTS253b-320

How to build a Victor VTS 253A-1993:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7787-How-to-build-a-Victor-VTS253a-1993

How to wire your own Burkert type 6011 solenoid:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7783-How-to-wire-a-Burkert-type-6011-solenoid

How to install a CGA 320 on a used Victor HPT 500:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7786-How-to-change-a-CGA-on-a-used-regulator

How to prep a used Victor HPT270 for a post body kit:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7788-How-to-prep-an-Victor-HPT-270-for-a-post-body

Why gas flow direction is important when installing a Burkert solenoid:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...ow-direction-is-important-in-preventing-leaks

How to build a Victor SGT 500: (90* output regulator)
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7879-How-to-build-a-Victor-SGT-500-Regulator
Happy reading.

How to adjust your Ideal Valve:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7971-How-to-adjust-your-Ideal-Valve

How to use Swagelok Tube Fittings:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8226-How-to-use-Swagelok-tube-fittings

DSR: Total Conversion From JBJ BUbble Counter to Swagelok Tube Adapter:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...m-JBJ-bubble-counter-to-Swagelok-Tube-Fitting

Gerryd's DSR Build:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8190-Gerryd-s-regulator-build-thread

Swagelok part numbers for two regulator configurations (regulator to tube adaper):
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...eded-for-90*-and-VTS-Builds?p=62668#post62668

How to build an SGT 500 (2):
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8516-How-to-Build-an-SGT-500-(2)?p=64375#post64375

Rainydazs' regulator build (GPT270):
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8538-rainydazs-s-Regulator-Build

Samuel's VTS252D-350 Build:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8595-Samuel-s-VTS252D-350-Build?p=65021#post65021

My two SGT500s:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8632-My-two-SGT500s-(thanks-to-Left-C)

Regulator Body Thickness?
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8671-Regulator-Body-Thickness?p=65564#post65564

Conversion from Swagelok tube adapter SS-6M0-1-2 (male) to SS-6M0-7-2 (female):
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...-to-SS-6M0-7-2-(female-NPT)?p=72227#post72227

Where to buy CGA NUTS NIPPLES AND FILTERS for your DIY project:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...ms)-and-filters-onliine-for-your-DIY-projects

Swagelok's online pipe fitting catalog with pictures!
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...elok-s-Pipe-Fitting-Catalog?p=80678#post80678

Updated tube adapters on my SGT500s:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...-to-SS-6M0-7-2-(female-NPT)?p=72227#post72227

Jiinx Regulator Build: Victor VTS250 Series:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...or-Build-Thread-VTS250-series-brass-regulator
 

Darkblade48

Guru Class Expert
Dec 16, 2009
147
0
16
hsverma;94638 said:
Hi Anthony,

It seems to have a CGA-540 nut and nipple on it installed already. Do you happen to have a post body setup you can recommend for this? I am currently looking at these metering/needle valves. Which one do you recommend?

Swagelok SS-2MG 1/8" Tubing
Swagelok 1/4" SS-SS4-A-OH-SL
Swagelok SS-22RS4-A

I know I need a solenoid which I am thinking of getting from aquariumplants.com. Is that a good one?
Just replace the CGA540 nut and nipple with a CGA320 and you'll be good to go.

In terms of post body kits, as Matt F. mentioned, I would also avoid tube fittings, since it will be cleaner without them (you can also use tube fitting to NPT adapters, but that will just add to your cost). The 1/4" SS-SS4 will require some adapters, which might again drive up the price.

I haven't looked at the specification sheets for the metering valves, but you will want one that has a good Cv value as well, to allow for finer control. The Ideal as mentioned by Matt F. is a good valve as well. If you were lucky enough to score a Parker from eBay awhile ago, they are excellent too.

The Burkert 6011A that is advertised on aquariumplants.com will work fine. I believe it is the brass one only. There were some stainless steel Burkert 2822 floating around on eBay earlier, but I believe they are all sold out now.

For the power cord, you can get it pre-wired, or if you are comfortable with electricity, can wire it yourself.


Matt F.;94642 said:
Just to make sure these didn't get burried somewhere, here are the "How-to" articles I wrote:
Here are some of the earlier DIY threads I did. Relisting them just as a reference.

Here is an updated list of DIY links:

How to build a VTS253B-320:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7785-How-to-build-a-Victor-VTS253b-320

How to build a Victor VTS 253A-1993:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7787-How-to-build-a-Victor-VTS253a-1993

How to wire your own Burkert type 6011 solenoid:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7783-How-to-wire-a-Burkert-type-6011-solenoid

How to install a CGA 320 on a used Victor HPT 500:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7786-How-to-change-a-CGA-on-a-used-regulator

How to prep a used Victor HPT270 for a post body kit:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7788-How-to-prep-an-Victor-HPT-270-for-a-post-body

Why gas flow direction is important when installing a Burkert solenoid:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...ow-direction-is-important-in-preventing-leaks

How to build a Victor SGT 500: (90* output regulator)
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7879-How-to-build-a-Victor-SGT-500-Regulator
Happy reading.

How to adjust your Ideal Valve:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7971-How-to-adjust-your-Ideal-Valve

How to use Swagelok Tube Fittings:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8226-How-to-use-Swagelok-tube-fittings

DSR: Total Conversion From JBJ BUbble Counter to Swagelok Tube Adapter:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...m-JBJ-bubble-counter-to-Swagelok-Tube-Fitting

Gerryd's DSR Build:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8190-Gerryd-s-regulator-build-thread

Swagelok part numbers for two regulator configurations (regulator to tube adaper):
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...eded-for-90*-and-VTS-Builds?p=62668#post62668

How to build an SGT 500 (2):
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8516-How-to-Build-an-SGT-500-(2)?p=64375#post64375

Rainydazs' regulator build (GPT270):
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8538-rainydazs-s-Regulator-Build

Samuel's VTS252D-350 Build:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8595-Samuel-s-VTS252D-350-Build?p=65021#post65021

My two SGT500s:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8632-My-two-SGT500s-(thanks-to-Left-C)

Regulator Body Thickness?
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8671-Regulator-Body-Thickness?p=65564#post65564

Conversion from Swagelok tube adapter SS-6M0-1-2 (male) to SS-6M0-7-2 (female):
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...-to-SS-6M0-7-2-(female-NPT)?p=72227#post72227

Where to buy CGA NUTS NIPPLES AND FILTERS for your DIY project:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...ms)-and-filters-onliine-for-your-DIY-projects

Swagelok's online pipe fitting catalog with pictures!
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...elok-s-Pipe-Fitting-Catalog?p=80678#post80678

Updated tube adapters on my SGT500s:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...-to-SS-6M0-7-2-(female-NPT)?p=72227#post72227

Jiinx Regulator Build: Victor VTS250 Series:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...or-Build-Thread-VTS250-series-brass-regulator

Wow! If only I did that level of documentation for each of my builds!
 

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
2,500
1
36
69
Burlington, NC
freshwatersystems.com offers Burkert 6011 solenoids in either brass or stainless steel; both have Buna-N seals for CO2 duty. They also offer LED powercord plug connections with and without a varistor. These do not come with the powercords already attached. Matt has a very good DIY article showing how to do this. The 6011 A is a laboratory grade 6011 solenoid built in clean room conditions for analysis and vacuum technology use. aquariumplants.com do not offer LED plug connections, but they do come with optional powercords already assembled.

The Ideal "1" series needle valves come in either brass or stainless steel with either angle flow or straight flow designs. An optional Vernier micrometer handle is a nice addition. The "1" series means that the number 1 is the middle digit in their part numbers, like V54-1-12 for example. These valves Cv is in a range that works very well for us.
 

hsverma

Junior Poster
Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
7
0
1
Wylie, TX
Left C;94662 said:
freshwatersystems.com offers Burkert 6011 solenoids in either brass or stainless steel; both have Buna-N seals for CO2 duty. They also offer LED powercord plug connections with and without a varistor. These do not come with the powercords already attached. Matt has a very good DIY article showing how to do this. The 6011 A is a laboratory grade 6011 solenoid built in clean room conditions for analysis and vacuum technology use. aquariumplants.com do not offer LED plug connections, but they do come with optional powercords already assembled.

The Ideal "1" series needle valves come in either brass or stainless steel with either angle flow or straight flow designs. An optional Vernier micrometer handle is a nice addition. The "1" series means that the number 1 is the middle digit in their part numbers, like V54-1-12 for example. These valves Cv is in a range that works very well for us.

Thank you so much Left C. and Anthony.

I was not able to get "in" on the parker deal in January as I just started on this CO2 process. I will keep an eye out for the ideal valves and will also get a CGA320 nut and nipple to make it fit on the cylinder.

Also, aquariumplants.com does offer the LED module as listed on this page: http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/sol.htm. Is this the one you are talking about?

Lastly, I am getting really confused about all these fitting sizes like 1/4, 1/8, tubing etc. Is there a simple write-up or guide somewhere I can read to enhance my knowledge? I tried searching these forums and it confused the hell out of me :(
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
2,500
1
36
69
Burlington, NC
Dang, aquariumplants.com does now carries a LED cable plug. I didn't know it. Should of looked. Is it the one with the varistor or not? Doesn't say. BTW, they are cheaper at freshwater. aquariumplants is copying my idea to carry the Buna-N solenoids and now the LED plugs. What is the world coming to? LOL Seriously, it is very good that we have two suppliers now. freshwater took the risk to originally carry them for us and it really was my idea to add the Buna-N models the Burkert's line. That is why I lean that way.

It is confusing looking at the myriad of parts available to do a regulator assembly. Looking through Matt's guide is a big help. He shows the actual process and parts for building them in a very sound way that is visually appealing. Posts 73 to 76 here show the parts used to build a 7 o'clock output VTS250 series regulator.
 

D-Linquent

New Member
Feb 25, 2013
22
0
1
I am in the process of collecting parts to build my first regulator, and I'm hesitating when I go to order a VTS250 off of ebay. There are three that I'm looking at, and I'm hoping to take advantage of the experience of this group.

this. Are these two missing the part that connects to the tank? What do you guys think?
 

oldpunk

Guru Class Expert
Dec 1, 2009
427
4
18
My phone won't open those links for some reason but stay away from the seller buyhightek or something like that. I know have a couple for sale at the moment. I've gotten a few from them that were doa.
 

D-Linquent

New Member
Feb 25, 2013
22
0
1
Thanks! The last two links and another I found are all being sold by hitek. They appeared like they might be missing parts.

That leaves the one sold by mjeffs for$100. He definitely cleaned it up nicely. Still a gamble though I guess.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
 

Darkblade48

Guru Class Expert
Dec 16, 2009
147
0
16
hsverma;94665 said:
Lastly, I am getting really confused about all these fitting sizes like 1/4, 1/8, tubing etc. Is there a simple write-up or guide somewhere I can read to enhance my knowledge? I tried searching these forums and it confused the hell out of me :(

I would stick with 1/8" for less of a headache, though some people use 1/4" parts since most of their parts are in that size and converting back and forth would not make sense.

Tubing works as well too, and you have the option of getting tubing adapters that go to NPT fittings (for example, to connect a needle valve to a solenoid). This provides the option of mounting the needle valve, rather than running it inline.

D-Linquent;94715 said:
Thanks! The last two links and another I found are all being sold by hitek. They appeared like they might be missing parts.

That leaves the one sold by mjeffs for$100. He definitely cleaned it up nicely. Still a gamble though I guess.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

From what I can see, the regulators sold by hitek are only missing the nipple and nut (which you would need to replace anyway, if you purchased the one being sold by mjeffs).
 
Last edited by a moderator:

D-Linquent

New Member
Feb 25, 2013
22
0
1
Ah that's what's missing. Okay.

Also, I have seen two part numbers recommended for Ideal needle valves. V52-1-12 and 52-1-11. What is the difference? I don't want to order the wrong one. It looks like both parts have a v and non v version...?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
 

oldpunk

Guru Class Expert
Dec 1, 2009
427
4
18
D-Linquent;94720 said:
Ah that's what's missing. Okay.

Also, I have seen two part numbers recommended for Ideal needle valves. V52-1-12 and 52-1-11. What is the difference? I don't want to order the wrong one. It looks like both parts have a v and non v version...?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

the 52-1-12 is the angel version. (makes the knob point out towards you) And the 52-1-12 would put the knob pointing straight up. Most people like the 52-1-12 best. the 52-1-11 looks kinda weird to me. The 'v' is the ordering code for the Vernier handle.