This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

The maximum CO2 amount

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Makram Monayer, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Makram Monayer

Makram Monayer Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:32 PM
    Through reading some topics here in this forum I understood that when I use high light then I need much co2 and nutrients... my question is if the co2 is more than what is needed according to the light and nutrients did this harm the plants and what is the maximum ppm can plant stand? Notice that no fish in the tank

Thanks a lot

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You can not get CO2 high enough to harm plants. Most of the plants we use can also live emersed. The atmosferic CO2 is 350 ppm.

Basically 40 to 50 ppm should be enough. The problem is that with very high light the CO2 demand of the plants is so high that we are not able to provide enough. This will lead to growth stagnation and algae.

Fish will always be the limit. If you have to add so much CO2 that the fish get problems, the oly way to go is reduce the CO2 demand of the plants by using less light.

3. Makram Monayer

Makram Monayer Junior Poster

Local Time:
    thank for replying me

#3 Makram Monayer, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  4. HD Blazingwolf

HD Blazingwolf Junior Poster

Local Time:

just curious. what is the light limit? i have around 100 PAR on the substrate and yet some of my plants curl their leaves and im injecting gobs and gobs of co2, i use a wet/dry to sustain higher oxygen levels.
    i feel like i keep lessening my light and growth keeps slowing down more and more as i do so yet some of them still curl, and some of my faster growign plants like ludwigia cuba aren't as large as they used to be, or colorful until they get closer to the light source, then they grow larger and more colorful and have no stressing.. and yet some of the plants that curl benefit when co2 is increased slightly, but then the nex day go right back to the way they are..